Social Security--you won't see this on the news either

LadyFish

Admiral
Franklin Roosevelt, a Democrat, introduced the Social Security (FICA)<br />Program. <br /><br />> He promised: <br /><br /><br />> 1.) That participation in the Program would be completely voluntary, <br /><br /><br />> 2.) That the participants would only have to pay 1% of the first $1,400 <br /><br /><br />> of their annual incomes into the Program, <br /><br /><br />> 3.) That the money the participants elected to put into the Program <br /><br /><br />> would be deductible from their income for tax purposes each year, <br /><br /><br />> 4.) That the money the participants put into the independent "Trust Fund" <br /><br /><br />> rather than into the General operating fund, and therefore, would only <br /><br /><br />> be used to fund the Social Security Retirement Program, and no other <br /><br /><br />>Government program, and, <br /><br /><br />> 5.) That the annuity payments to the retirees would never be taxed as<br /><br />income. <br /><br />>Since many of us have paid into FICA for years and are now receiving a <br /><br /><br />> Social Security check every month-and then finding that we are getting<br /><br />taxed on 85%<br /><br />> of the money we paid the Federal government to "put away," you may be<br /><br />interested in <br /><br />>the following: <br /><br /><br />> Q: Which Political Party took Social Security from the independent "Trust"<br /><br /><br />> fund and put it into the General fund so that Congress could spend it? <br /><br /><br />> A: It was Lyndon Johnson and the Democratically-controlled House and<br /><br />Senate. <br /><br />> Q: Which Political Party eliminated the income tax deduction for Social <br /><br /><br />>Security (FICA) withholding? <br /><br /><br />> A: The Democratic Party.<br /><br /><br />> Q: Which Political Party started taxing Social Security annuities? <br /><br /><br />> A: The Democratic Party, with Al Gore casting the "tie-breaking" deciding <br /><br /><br />> vote as President of the Senate, while he was Vice President of the U.S. <br /><br /><br />> Q: Which Political Party decided to start giving annuity payments to<br /><br />immigrants? <br /><br />> A: That's right! Jimmy Carter and the Democratic Party. <br /><br /><br />> Immigrants moved into this country, and at age 65, began to <br /><br /><br />> receive SSI Social Security payments! The Democratic Party gave these <br /><br /><br />> payments to them, even though they never paid a dime into it! ><br /><br /><br />> Then, after doing all this lying and thieving and violation <br /><br /><br />> of the original contract (FICA), the Democrats turn around and tell <br /><br /><br />> you that the Republicans want to take your Social Security away! <br /><br /><br />> And the worst part about it is, uninformed citizens believe it! <br /><br /> :rolleyes:

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Social Security--you won't see this on the news either

There you said it,that's what the hipocrite party does so well.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Well said Ladyfish. I didnt see anything there about FDR using social security to help fund the Vietnam War. Must have been in the fine print.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

FDR? Vietnam?? HUH???

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

The Dems were just trying to be fiscally responsible. <br /><br />Yes that is what I said. ;) <br /><br />How so you ask? <br /><br />If they don't raise more money SOMEWHERE they won't have enough extra pork barrel spending to help get them re-elcted next term! Thus, their own pocket book may be impacted! (Though not by much given their congressional pension!) I didn't say they were being fiscally responsible to us! Unfortunately there have been too many Republicans on that bandwagon also.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

yep Lady Fish, bro at work emailed this to me regards Soc Sec and which Pol Party Instituted it.<br /><br />I do however agree with Soc Sec for its intention--poor folks down and out--<br /><br />The program has become, can I say, hugely misguided and abused. Is now a form of retirement fund as well as a means to fund drug and alchy dependent folks.<br /><br />I wish not to post additional opinions of mine here regarding SSI as I will not troll or pot stir, but!!!!<br /><br />Thanks for this post Lady Fish!<br /><br />PC

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

It was a joke JB. FDR did not plan on social security to be used to finance a war. However it was used to help finance the Vietnam War.

PW2

Commander

That's all well and nice, and maybe even entertaining. Unfortunately, it is inaccurate.<br /><br />Major changes to social security came in <br /><br />1950--President Harry Truman--major provisions- included spouses in coverage.<br /><br />1972--President Nixon---Added SSDI (disability) benefits to social security.<br /><br />1983--President Reagan--made mandatory social security participation by federal employees hired after 1984.<br /><br />From the social security website, these are the major changes enacted by congress, and signed into law by the various presidents, since it was enacted by FDR in 1934.<br /><br />Now there have been minor legislative changes to social security virtually every year enacted by congress, but to suggest that somehow it is a conspiracy foisted on an unsuspecting public by democratic administrations is simply silly.<br /><br />It is not now, nor has it ever been, a "retirement account".<br /><br />It is, however, consistent with most of the junk being published from right, unfortunately.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Guys, I have seen several e-mails with claims like this, and I think a lot of them are false.<br /><br />I will wait for www.snopes.com to get to the truth.<br /><br />Ken

crab bait

Captain

YEAH,, well what political<br />party ( edit by me) a bit to sick ..

Skinnywater

Commander

And it's all politicians in Washington that have thier own retirement plan. <br /><br />In my opinion, most of these political threads aren't "trolls" but fine examples of Democratics and Republicans constituents in denial. :rolleyes:

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by SBN:<br />
Originally posted by kenimpzoom:<br /> Guys, I have seen several e-mails with claims like this, and I think a lot of them are false.<br /><br />I will wait for www.snopes.com to get to the truth.<br /><br />Ken
Anything like this Ken?<br /> http://www.snopes.com/cgi-bin/news/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000003
Thats on their message board, hopefully snopes will put it on their database. The posters research looks pretty good.<br /><br />Ken