soccer goal warning

Serentiy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello to all <br /> Yesterday was one of the saddest. We laid to rest one of our dearest friend's 15 year old son. Last Sunday he and a few other friends were out on a field to practice football and the field got muddy so they moved to the other field to play but the soccer goals were in the way. His dad is an avid soccer coach and he has played soccer sence he was 5. So he knew how much they weighed (350-450)lbs. So they try and move the soccer goal and it fell, and you know the rest.this could have been prevented if the goals were anchored down. the safety comm has been trying to get this out sence 1970's that all the goals need to be anchored. He was a athletic at soccer football and running. But the most important part is he did accept Christ. So we know where he is now. I believe that in his death there were many who got saved at his school. so in death there was lifes he saved by showing our lives are but an mere vapor. and what we do today will determine where we go tomorow. for we are not promised tomorow. But if you could talk to your kids and coaches about the importance of anchoring the goals down so no more of our athletes will be lost. and be in prayer for his family Serenity

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: soccer goal warning

A truely sad event.<br />God often takes his best and brightest shining stars, to light the way for us.<br /><br />Peace.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

That is truly tragic Serenity. My prayers are with his family.<br /><br />I know soccer goals are intentionally left unanchored so they can be moved when necessary but what should be done is have them designed so they are not top-heavy. I've been at my son's tournaments when it was windy and seen goals blow over nearly hitting players. It is not a difficult thing to design them with a different weight distribution or to alter those already in use so they do not tip over. Hopefully, this will motivate manufacturers to change their designs.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

aren't they already built bottom heavy? They have 3 bars on the ground with uprights leading to just one bar. <br /><br />Sorry to hear about the freinds son.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

No, Ken. They are essentially an "L" in 3D. They can roll forward very easily, especialy when pushed by hand or wind.

Serentiy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you for your prayers and getting this out. serenity

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

sorry for your loss. It must be especially tough on the other boys who were there.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

I am a football (soccer in USA) coach and have been for about 6 years. Our league, finally started anchoring the goals. All it takes is a cork-screw type anchor that screws into the ground 18" or so and a section of chain wrapped around the support bar on the bottom of the goal.<br /><br />So many accidents happen due to kids climbing on the goals and them falling on them. I've never seen one fall in the wind, but it wouldn't surprise me.<br /><br />I'm glad the young man accepted the Lord at an early age. I know that not everyone here believes in the Christian faith, but just for a minute, think like one who does, and it is depressing. Any individual (who is old enough to understand) who dies without having their sins forgiven, is separated from the presense of God forever. Some may be angry for what I am typing just now because I am "preaching" (and I am). Again, think of it from my perspective as a believer and you will realize that I am only trying to help guide people to the savior who is willing, able, and justified to forgive a person of all of their sins. Some feel that God won't send a person to Hell because He is a God of love. The fact is that God doesn't send anybody to Hell - we send ourselves. He provided us a free gift (Christ's ultimate sacrifice) but many laugh at it and walk away with the gift rejected.<br /><br />We aren't promised tomorrow. Make sure you are ready to meet your maker before it is too late. It is important not just for eternity, but for an abundant life here on earth. I'm stepping down from my internet "pulpit".

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

I don't mean to be rude (yes, its a sad story)but, something stinks in the petunias..<br /><br />..how in the hell did this 15yr old die from a goal falling on him when they were moving it??<br /><br />..my curiosity is killing me!

Serentiy

Petty Officer 1st Class

The goal weighs 300pound to 400pounds put that a a force dead weight to pounds per square inch by the rate of speed it aquired while comming down. Any math people want to the math for us. Just like why a grown up Cannot hold a 7 pound baby in a car wreak going 35 miles per hour. That is why we wear seat belts and why theese should be anchored and kids taught to not play on them.<br />Serenity

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

I'd have done the math but, we're missing a great amount of critical variables .. not important.<br /><br />what I was asking is "HOW" did the thing fall on him??<br /><br />- was he just standing there?<br />- was he sliding it?<br />- were they trying to carry it?<br />- were there 2,3,5,8.. kids moving it?<br />- where did it strike him?<br /><br />What town was this in? <br />and when?<br /><br />can you give some specifics?

Serentiy

Petty Officer 1st Class

There were four boys, All around 5ft to 6ft tall each in sports like condition.I would have thought the same thing, Get four or five people. together we can move this thing.Me and my bro-inlaw move 1,220lbs bails of hay around all the time by ourselves to feed the livestalk.They were pushing it to move it out of the way. And they are top heavy. the top bar came down on his head.<br />Feb.20th.<br />Serenity

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

what state and town Serenity ?<br /><br />kids name?... family name?<br /><br />I'm looking for information on it.

Serentiy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you also. I'm With noodles the manufactors need to change the 3D design in theese goals. It looks like all the goals are made the same way, To be top heavy they need to be made like a box to equal out the weight Just like a gymnastic bars they are the same weight. The only diff. is they are center weighted. Serenity

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

not all goals are made the same way Serenity.. that thing, goal, that was shown in the report is a work of art not a soccer goal.<br /><br />i don't know how to feel about the kids death either .. according to the article there were locked gates on public school grounds.. the kids were trespassing.. what a mess!<br /><br />I'm sorry for his death in relation to you knowing him.. its tough! been there.. but, I can't sympathise with law breakers. <br /><br />kid drowns in my pool that is surrounded by a fence and a locked gate.. and still I'd get badgered about the drowning of someone who wasn't allowed there and who was trespassing. If the kid(s) and parents had much grey matter, they wouldn't have been there (breaking the law as it is) in the first place.<br /><br />sad but true.. still someone needs to inform a few folks on how to build these things.. that goal is a joke to begin with.

Serentiy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Barlow this is a question I want to also know but it is still to soon to ask. Most the goals here look like this. the front gates are always locked but there is a side gate. There is a few serenios that could have been.1. the side gate was unlocked . 2. all the gates were locked that night after the fact.3 One of the dads had keys. His dad was a coach and that was a practice field. 4 the boys were trespassing. When I was a coach we could have practiced on that field. But I chose not to. We will find out soon I hope.But to just come up to his parents and ask right now is not a thing to do . It is best to leave it the authorities right now. <br /><br />Serenity