So what do you guys think of this boat ??

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Been looking for a deal in the pre-Christmas season, and found this one. Not much info in the listing, but got this from the seller.<br />1997 Smokercraft 162 Pro Mag, 16' 3"? 80" beam, 920# hull weight.<br />1997 Rude 90hp<br />He says there is no damage to motor, boat, or trailer, and no repairs needed. Only a couple small scratches.<br />Says no repairs have been done to it. <br />Clear title on it.<br /><br />What bothers me is :<br /> 1) not a lot of motor info or pictures; <br />2) he does not know what rpm's the motor turns or top mph<br />3) He has a zero ebay rating.<br /><br />Only will accept cash, which is good I guess, if the rig doesn't check out when I get there, I just don't pay him and I leave.<br />Worst that can happen is a negative feedback on ebay.<br /><br />Sure wish I could see it before bidding, but auction ends in 12 hours.<br /><br />I don't need this boat.<br />I would probably use it a few times in spring and resell it, as I'm not sure I want a walk thru for a fishing rig. I have a single console now..<br />Since aluminum boat prices are high in the upper midwest, maybe make a few $.<br /><br />Well take a look and tell me what you think.<br /><br /> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=4512456490&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

ob

Admiral
Re: So what do you guys think of this boat ??

Hard to see detail from a distance but boat appears fairly clean.Kinda high opening bid price.Looks like its got an OMC SST prop on it.Painted steel trailer W/plastic fenders.If you can turn a buck on it it may be worth the venture.Just wait see what kind of bidding comes up in the final 1/2 hour or so and set yourself a limit.Only you know what you can get for it after some up close observation if your plan is to keep till spring and sell.$5500 doesn't leave much room to do more than break even where I live.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Did you ask him why he is selling it, and how he came about owning it?<br /><br />Does it have an hour meter?<br /><br />Be sure to get a good bill of sale, and check all the numbers on the title vs those on the boat.<br /><br />Alot of people are asking for cash only with all the idiots forging cashiers checks.<br /><br />Ken

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I hear you on the "not much room for profit" possability.<br />Saw a 3 year old Fisher, of similar layout, with a 50 Merc, go for $5000 the other day.<br /><br /><br />Geez, 90 hp on a little boat like that? What would I want that for? :) <br /><br />Actually would be a bit much for where I fish.<br />Heck, my Force 70 is a bit much for where I fish.

ob

Admiral

I hear ya.Only tried bidding on something near that value once before on e-bay . A Land Rover.Seen the pics and all the hype.After winning the bid and seeing the vehicle ,seller had no problem with me backing out.Particularly since it was advertised in great condition and had a cracked exhaust manifold and a broken sun roof.Not to mention the rest of it.I'm sure that some get good deals on e-bay stuff but I'm sorta one of those gotta see and touch it first guys.Specially for them kind o greenbacks in the wake of my first and only experience.Good luck ,on whatever you decide,and have a Merry Christmas.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

He said he bought it from the original owner 3+ years ago, doesn't use it enough to justify it, and needs the money bad right now. Didn't say why.<br /><br /><br />Just for comparison, similar boats are for sale in the $7-9000 range around here. Sure wish I had an extra 6 hours, then I'd drive down and check it out.<br /><br />Here is a slightly newer boat, with only a 40hp (which is max), going for $5400 with 3 days to go.<br /><br /> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4513052174&fromMakeTrack=true <br /><br />Thanks ob, you have a safe and Merry Christmas yourself.

KaGee

Admiral

The "ZERO" ebay ratings is a deal killer for me unless you can physically go see the boat before bidding.

spratt

Lieutenant

Roscoe, it is so difficult to tell much about it...especially from that pic...if you'll put it in my backyard for a couple years, I will tell you anything about it ya wanna know!!!

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I myself woulddn't worry much about the 0 ebay rating. He has been a member for over a year, but looks like he has made no transactions. Everyone has to start somewhere. He has no negative feedback either, so may be a straight deal. <br />I guess I would look at it this way, what cold possibly be wrong with it? if the motor is shot can you replace or repair it and still have equal to or under the value. If he answers your e-mails promptly he is probably honest. Good luck with your decision.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Things were going ok till the last email.<br />Either this guy knows nothing about boats, or he was avoiding the question.<br /><br />I let someone else have it.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

I found this one, lots of capacity for stuff.<br /> web page

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by pjc:<br /> I found this one, lots of capacity for stuff.<br /> web page
Dang... we can get the whole I-boats gang on there for one heck of a fishing party!<br />How ya gonna transport that back to Milwaukee??? <br />ROFL!<br /><br /> :D :D

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by roscoe:<br /> Things were going ok till the last email.<br />Either this guy knows nothing about boats, or he was avoiding the question.<br /><br />I let someone else have it.
What did he say that put up a flag?<br /><br />Sean

NathanY

Commander

Looks just like mine, except mine is a single console. Mine is also rated for a 90hp. Boat is well worth the price. I love my Smokercraft. Handles big water(2-4ft waves) very well. Gotta love the tall sides.