So How Many Times?

jmoore73

Seaman Apprentice
So how many time exactly can you forget to raise the lower unit and drag it up the boat ramp before you have some serious problems? lol:eek:

I know the answer is probably once, but I needed to put a p-touch on my steering wheel that says "Remember to raise the Lower unit idiot!" and I've already had to use it once!

Any horror stories?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: So How Many Times?

I've done it 3 or 4 times on a ramp, and about 3 times pulling out of my shed :facepalm:... You could do it a thousand times, all you'll end up with is a very short skeg. The trim rams are design to allow the leg to kick up if the force is sufficient, thus protecting the vitals (gimbal ring, bell housing, ect)...

I actually suffer more from the opposite problem, Starting the engine with the leg up.... I now have a piece of cardboard with I place on the steering wheel when I have the leg up that says LEG UP! Doing that too often will cause a problem.....

Chris........

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

I started mine twice this season with the leg up and reved it up as a cold start warm up, i heard a bad vibration and said (s***) and realized what i did. Been using boat but i think i may have tweeked a u-joint. Got a slight vibration under way now. Maybe the gimble bearing too. I've dragged my skeg twice too, oops! My drive didn't give way and go up though, (alpha one).

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I started mine twice this season with the leg up and reved it up as a cold start warm up, i heard a bad vibration and said (s***) and realized what i did. Been using boat but i think i may have tweeked a u-joint. Got a slight vibration under way now. Maybe the gimble bearing too. I've dragged my skeg twice too, oops! My drive didn't give way and go up though, (alpha one).

Pull the drive and check you still have all the uni-joint clips in place.... TODAY!