So am I crazy? ( Trim Hydraulics)

Sawz

Cadet
those who read my other thread

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=342943

I found out what is wrong from a local Mechanic. Thanks for some free time from him ...great guy

Anyway it appears when it was repowered they didnt use the right transom bracket? they left the original one on. It did not have the reverse lock out valve.. the old drive that was on it had the mechanical lock. so I was told no way to fix it. it can only go up. im SOL

I had a brain storm last night , why not try to find a 12vdc solenoid valve psi rating of about 1500. I read the manual and it said when testing, the pump gets up to 1000 psi, is that correct?

Insert this valve into the line going out to the trim cylinders. you can get them normally open or normally closed. The only problem I see with this is normally closed would be like a mechanical lock. damage to the drive unit if hitting something submerged.

Using the normally open valve and figure a way to close it when shifting into reverse, would allow the drive to come up when coming off the plane. then slamming down against the boat when stopped

I was thinking of wiring it to the trim switch so it would open only when trimming it up or down keeping a locked line when not in use.

to put the right transom bracket which would hold the reverse lock out , according to the mechanic would be around 3000 to 3500 way more than the boat is worth. Money wise if I hit something submerged im still money ahead

what would be the best place to wire this valve into? open or closed? your thoughts? Or am I just wrong in thinking this would work.

boat is 68 sterndrive is a 70 mercruiser I was told it changed in 69

Bondo

Staff member
Re: So am I crazy? ( Trim Hydraulics)

according to the mechanic would be around 3000 to 3500 way more than the boat is worth. I had a brain storm last night , why not try to find

Ayuh,.... Why not buy a New Trim Pump for about $300.00,+ call it a day....

The newer plastic tanked trim pumps already have a built in Check Valve....
All ya gotta do is adapt the Lines,... Maybe not even That, not knowin' what ya got now...