snowblower quits running

loghomer

Seaman
I own a MTD snowblower, about 15 yrs old. Only been used about 10 times though. It will start but after 5 seconds it shuts down. I took off and cleaned the carb and the fuel hose. They look fine but it still seems as if it is not getting fuel. Any Ideas??? I don't see any kind of a fuel pump. Am I missing something???

KM2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: snowblower quits running

Let's start with the basics:<br /><br />1) Fuel in the tank<br />2) Check for a fuel shut off valve between tank and carb. <br />3) Primer bulb if i has one may need to be pumped numerous times. <br />4) Choke on<br />5) Throttle open to start/full position<br />6) Shut off switch/ safety switch on<br />7) Obstructions in fuel line or tank. <br /><br />Check all of these things if you haven't already. <br />Kevin

loghomer

Seaman

Thanks Kevin<br /><br />I've tried all that. There is no shut off valve. It just seems that its not drawing any gas

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Once it starts, see if you can keep it running by spraying bursts of starting fluid in the carb. If it keeps running then there is some obstruction left in the carb or fuel line. If not, check for spark problems.<br /><br />Mark.

boatneck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try looking at fuel line for cracks--sounds like fuel starvation. Had a chain saw that behaved similarly and it was a bad fuel hose.

FLATHEAD

Captain

If it will run with the choke and than die out, it is probably the needle jet is out of whack and needs adjustments. Also try leaving the fuel line on the tank and blow air Very low pressure through the hose till it bubbles up in the tank.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

See if it will stay running with the gas cap off,tank vent could be cloged.

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

Hello, Sounds like its carb rebuild time. These small carburetors are more prone to dirt and clogging than automotive style carbs as they have much smaller passages. Rebuild kits are cheap and common. Probably less than $20.00 to get an OEM kit from a lawnmower shop or on the Internet. Kits are easy to use. Trickiest part is removing the welch plugs (if your carb uses them) and reinstalling them. Clean all the small passages with the welch plugs removed with good carb spray and follow up with compressed air. If you don't have a compressor buy a can of duster spray at Staples or an office supply store. Put it back together and adjust and you will be all set. good luck!

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

Another thing to check is the muffler. If it is a two stroke unit (oil and gas mix) it might have a spark arrester in the muffler (mesh screen) they eventually clog up with carbon. The resulting backpressure will not allow the engine to stay running for very long and you will have no idle. Sometimes they can be cleaned, otherwise you will have to replace it. Disconnect the muffler to verify this. If it now runs you've found your problem.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Fireship1, I see you are a mechanic so I don't doubt your sage advise, but why would a snowblower need a spark arrester?

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

Bruce, Technically it shouldn't as there is really nothing for it to ignite. I however have seen some models with baffles or restrictions that resemble a spark arresting screen. This might cause starting or running problems if clogged with carbon. But....My moneys on the carb. It's most likely the problem.

walleyehed

Admiral

15yrs old...most likely a Tecumseh....<br />If it is, remove bowl nut(and bowl) from carb and see if gas continues to flow. Note position of float. It should be hanging down slightly below horizontal (or not parallel with carb bowl surface). Fuel should flow freely right on through the seat(around the needle). If no fuel, varnish has clogged the tank barb area. I would recommend replacing the fuel line every 3 years on these. The older fuel lines will not tolerate the newer fuel blends.<br />If fuel is flowing, the next item would be to inspect and clean the bowl nut...this IS the jet-orfice. If the bowl nut has the adjustable high-speed needle as part of it, turn it in by hand until seated lightly, and re-open 2-1/2 turns.(when bowl is back on carb)<br />I would install a new Champion J17LM (RJ17LM is fine too). Before installing the new plug, squirt a small amout of oil in the cyl. and pull it through a few times slowly. Fill with fresh fuel and verify fuel will flow through seat with bowl off, if so, reinstall bowl nut-remember the high-speed needle adjustment! Most of the Tecs. have primers...give it 5 or 6 shots, choke on and it should fire. <br />Always use a good fuel stabilizer and always store it full of fuel/stab mix after running for 4-5 mins. after adding stabilizer.

walleyehed

Admiral

Absolutely no reason to install a new carb on a snow-blower not run in dirt-the reason throttle shafts wear out.<br />There were some issues with floats and the correct setting, but no carb issues.<br />Might be some problem with a person installing the bowl with the lowest portion in the wrong position...this causes a few problems, but human error, not carb.<br />New Throt shaft and butterfly is 13 bucks, a carb-kit for 6 bucks. For 20-25, you can replace any part that would cause a problem.