Snow Skiing

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant
I have a friend who has been trying to get me to ski some different areas on the mountain for a while. Some of the more advanced areas. I keep telling him, some of them are a little out of my reach. Here is one, The HeadWall <br /><br />Little too much for my old bones to take when I fall... :D <br /><br />Here is the archives. Check out some of the shots, they are just too cool.<br /><br /> Photo Archives <br />Check out the one 1/28/05 HeadWall Views. That is looking down on the highest lift on the mountain. Wow!<br />I forgot to add, I got to be buried in the snow for training the other day for the first time. It was unique, they dug a snow cave, I climbed in and they plugged the entrance. Then they let a search dog find me. It is excellent training for the dogs and good motivation. It ensures that the person they find will be alive. My friend on the search team told me that the dogs tend to get depressed when all they find is people who have died. They will sometimes "bury" one of the rescuers after the search is completed, so the dogs can end on a happy note.<br />AK Chappy

Homerr

Commander
Re: Snow Skiing

Nice to see other skiers here!<br /><br />My homer resort is Mt. Ashland in Southern Oregon. http://www.mtashland.com/ <br /><br />It's a tough mountain to learn on, but if you can ski here, you can ski anywhere. <br /><br />I just got back from Mt. Bachelor in Central Oregon, and it was awesome. They have a free ski day every year, so my family and I like to catch it. Bachelor's black runs are like Ashland's blue runs... Nothing I can't handle.<br /><br />I too however.. am slowing a bit. I broke my foot twice (not from skiing) so I know how broken bones feel. Skiing accidents can mess you up fast so I take my time and enjoy the view and the experience more than racing down the hill.<br /><br />On a nice clear sunny day, I just like to sit on top of the mountain and take it in... makes you realize the best things in life really are free! :) <br /><br />Snow training? Being in Alaska, I'm not surprised it's not offered as a basic class in school! Sounds fun and informative.<br /><br />H.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

I have been lucky and not broken any bones skiing. I do tend to ski fast and aggressive though. Last year, I used my GPS and clocked my top speed as 53 mph once. I need to take it back up since I now ski faster than last year. I have had some spectacular crashes in the past and am amazed I haven't been hurt. I once traveled 100 yds, touched the snow four times in that distance, head first each time. I am glad I know how to "tuck and roll" or it could have been real ugly. Believe it or now, I didn't lose a single piece of equipment, or have a single injury(not even a scratch!)<br />I do have some residual ligament damage from a crash about 5 yrs ago, but nothing I can't handle w/o surgery.<br />I do tend to be the one, who after I crash gets the response "Dude!!! Are you ok???" from about 30 people in the area....LOL<br /><br />AK Chappy<br /><br />The snow training was for the dogs. I have learned alot up here about how to survive if I get stuck. I tend to end up 40-50 miles from the nearest roads quite often. My wife has instructions on where we are going everytime we go, and not to call Search and Rescue unless I haven't shown up in time to get ready for work.<br />Got some stories about that stuff tooo. No searches for me, but for some of my friends.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I can see Chappy now hollering to everyone, "Hey you all watch this" :D

tylerin

Commander

I love skiing and I love it steep. Homer..I've skied Ashland on many occasion. Personally I don't like snow you can make a snowball with. All the areas out west here are like that. Utah, Colorado, Idaho the snow is so dry its like sawdust. I prefer skiing under these conditions. I may be too old to take on the Headwall but I'd give her he!! :D

aspeck

Staff member

I love skiing, it is just that I have been spending the winters in Ghana, so I have gotten to go once in the last 6 years! Bummer! Skied the powdery stuff once in Colorado, that was cool, but took getting used to. In the Northeast, we get what they call "Packed Powder" (aka ICE). It is fast! Darn, thinking of snow and snow skiing, I am homesick now! Shame on you Chappy!

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Now to make all of you jealous!!!!<br /><br />I am packing up my ski stuff now. 12" of fresh at the top of the mountain this morning. I will be on the first tram!! First Tracks!!! Woooo Hoooo!!! They have gotten more than 2 feet of snow in the past two days!!!<br /><br />I will try to post a couple of pics when I get back and after I get home from dart tournament tonight.<br /><br />AK Chappy

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

20 yrs on the ski patrol, and I needed three KNEE surgeries last year, as soon as I loose 50 lbs I’ll go again, so until then please take all conversation about skiing to a skiing bulletin board<br />Been to mt. bachlor, loved it, and crystal too. Sort of made giving up in jersey easier<br />JELOUSE IN NJ

D

DJ

I used to be a very prolific and proficient skier.<br /><br />I used to race (downhill) in high school and college. I was even sponsored by Head and then Hart.<br /><br />I've even water skied with snow skis.<br /><br />Now, I just can't stand the cold.<br /><br />I remember one piece of advice a snow ski coach told me. "Never look at the poles, if you do, you'll hit them".<br /><br />He was right. You go where your eyes go.<br /><br />The moral of all this, "if it looks scary, it is".

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Well, I didn't get any pics. It was snowing so hard visibility was nil. It was fun skiing the heavy powder, but I think I might have tweaked my knee. We'll see in a couple of days.<br /><br />As far as the dart league night. It was 9-7 them with 3 games to go. We play 19 games, first team to 10 wins the night, overall points help determine standings. My team ended up winning 10-9 and I won the final game of the night. What a fun match it was. I love the close games!!<br /><br />AK Chappy