Snout bolts? & motor shakes

stcroixjoe

Cadet
Hey guys I just bought a 1989 150hp i'm doing a bunch of maintance things to it,I ordered the snout and the bolts to install it but the bolt that is towards the rear that is "hidden" is coming from the west coast and I live in Ohio and I'm dying to test run my boat with the new motor on it , does anyone know what size and lenght the bolt is?

2- The motor is shaking at idle really bad and sounds like is missing Any idea's whats causing this?

3-I read on here that people are de-carbing, Can some one explain the process and the best/most effective product to use

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Snout bolts? & motor shakes

SCREW - (.312-18 x 1.00)

The bad miss could be lots of things. poor wiring connection, broken wire, bad coil, bad trigger, bad sparkplugs.....

Decarb info :
Decarbing is a 2 part process. The first part is preventative, done by using a fuel additive to prevent carbon build up. SeaFoam is one such fuel additive and can be found at most auto parts stores. It also works as a fuel system cleaner and should be used as a preventative maintenance procedure.If Your intent is to REMOVE the existing carbon buildup from the cylinders, heads, and rings, a spray decarb solvent product, such as SeaFoam Deep Creep, Power Tune, or Ring Free, is needed to do the decarb process. Free moving rings are what seals your cylinders and gives you compression. Compressed and stuck rings means loss of compression, broken rings, damaged pistons and heads, and eventually, engine failure.Run engine at fast idle, with engine running and warm, slowly spray liberal amount into each carb. Its gonna smoke up the place. Spray for a couple minutes, now spray a larger amount into the carb(s) until engine chokes out and stops.Remove spark plugs and spray the decarb product liberally into each cylinder, install the spark plugs, let it soak for an hour or more. Start the engine and run at medium throttle, or if at the lake, run it at full throttle. It won't hurt to spray some more through the carbs. Run it for atleast 10 minutes to flush the crud out of your engine. Now remove and clean, or replace the spark plugs. It works well to do the spraying, the night before you go to the lake. This way you can let it soak overnight, and run at full throttle at the lake.Don't do this in front of the garage door or the house, unless you want it covered with greasy black crud.*************

And this was added by DJ, member 5471.""Outboards are probably the most abused engines ever. An incorrectly propped engine is the norm, not the exception. That incorrect propping results in carbon build up. It has nothing to do with lead.Think about it. Some folks dole around at trolling speeds or non-planing speeds for hours. That leads to serious deposit build up. Add oil in the fuel and you get the problem described.Engines that run at high speeds for most of their lives may never have the issue.However, a decarb does NOT hurt anything, except maybe the plugs, and is a good preventive maintenance practice.BTW, the decarb. process has nothing to do with gunked up carburetors.

john from md

Commander
Re: Snout bolts? & motor shakes

The snout bolt size is 5/16 x 18 and the length is 3/4 on one and 1 inch on the other. Lube them up good so they don't gall and don't over torque them.

Regards,

John