Snapper rear rider and mulching blade

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer
I've owned my rear engine Snapper since early summer of 2001. I got tired of throwing the grass on sidewalks, street and mulch areas and blowing the street and sidewalks so I broke down and bought the Ninjia mulching kit. It was a day or two late due to the holiday and all the rain has really made the grass grow. I tell you that part because I did something I almost never do and mowed really wet grass.

If it can chomp up what I just did to it I can tell right now that I am going to be extremely pleased with this purchase.

If you are on the fence trying to decide, just go buy one. It will be the best $75 you ever spend.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Snapper rear rider and mulching blade

Mulchers work well if the grass is dry and not too long. Otherwise they can make a gooey mess! The Pacific Northwest is not a good place to do this for most of the growing season. I know, I did it for years. I got tired of the clumps of cut grass and all the green stains that the dog tried to bring into the house.

With exception of our 'back 40" which I do with a honda lawnrider w/mulching kit, I bag all of my 'cultured' lawns.

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've been cutting grass for over fifty five years and only learned about mulching kits about twelve years ago from my neighbor. (Interesting guy - was a fighter pilot over Europe in WWII. Still can't watch some war movies because it brings it all back.)

But the mulching kit on my Deere Sabre works on grass all season, and on leaves in the fall. I used to fill some 65 thirty-six gallon bags with oak, walnut, and maple leaves each Oct./Nov... No more, since my friend turned me on to the mulcher.

colbyt

and on leaves in the fall.

Goodness! I had not even considered that possibility. That would be a super bonus and very good for this builder grade soil.

Splat

Lieutenant

You will need to de-thatch your yard every year yo keep your yard looking optimal, not a big deal just something to keep in mind.

Also mulching kits require to scrape your deck a few times every year to keep the air and grass flowing properly.

generator12

I've never had to scrape mine. The blade action keeps it clean. I have, however, had to unplug the holes at the discharge a few times, but that's easily done in a few minutes. I really like this thing.

colbyt

I've never had to scrape mine. The blade action keeps it clean. I have, however, had to unplug the holes at the discharge a few times, but that's easily done in a few minutes. I really like this thing.

What holes? This kit came with a heavy cover. There is no discharge area with it in place.

generator12

Colby, the discharge of my 38 inch deck has a plate in place to keep the grass from blowing out, so that it can mulch. This plate has holes - about half inch dia. - spaced around its face, presumably to facilitate some air flow under the deck. I've run it will them completely blocked with grass, and I've run it with them cleaned out. I notice no difference in the results. I clean them out occasionally simply because they're there and must have some design purpose.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I have been mulching my lawn ever since... All my neighbors cut with normal blades and bag their grass clippings and set bags out all the time to be picked up. And then they ask me how comes my lawn is so full and very green and amazing looking. I actually get folks every year stop and ask me what I am doing to keep such a awesome yard. I tell them to stop bagging all the nutrients out of their yards. Mulch the grass instead of catching it in bags. Every bit of those grass cuttings fertilizes the lawn. Once you take all those clipping out year in and year out, you basically have nothing but very poor soil left. I never rake leaves either, I mulch them all. So some have started mulching their lawns now but other still bag... It is exactly like famers know all too well. You can't keep taking from the ground and expect to keep having good soil... I fertilize three times a year as well as mulch, and I never have any thatch what so ever either... And one extremely import thing to do is fertilize in late fall when it seems everything is gone dormant...