Smoking

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have been smoking for over 30 years. Last Dec. 26th I started the patch system and went through 8 weeks of it, dropping the strength along the way. Even with bad road conditions (I drive truck) over the winter, I was able to stay off while on the patch. About 1 month off the patch, I started to weaken occasionally, and now I am right back to a pack a day. Anybody got any suggestions as to what they did to quit for good?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Smoking

I went the patch route (successfully) then bought nicotene gum, stored them in a Altoids can, cut each 4 mg piece into quarters with a razor blade. Works really well, gives you the nico w/o the habit and bad stuff in the smokes<br /><br />I quit 6 1/2 years ago after 32 years of two packs a day. I still use the gum. Not cheap but alot better than smoking.<br /><br />If this is the first time you really quit, your relapse will work in your favor. Next time you quit, you will remember when you get the urge that there is no such thing as "I got it licked, I'll just smoke one"<br /><br />Good luck!

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was a 2 to 3 pack a day smoker. I used wellbutrin (sp) to help me quit. It cut the urges and after a week or so I stopped the wellbutrin. I have'nt had a cigarette in a year or so. <br />The big issue for me to quit was the money I was throwing away. By quitting I promised myself I would by a boat, which I did. The money I was putting out for cigarettes is now my boat payment. <br /><br />Keep at it, if you really want to quit, you will.

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

what is wellbutrin? Is it a prescription?

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wellbutrin is the same as zyban only your health insurance will cover wellbutrin. See your Doctor for a prescription. The one majo advantage of Zyban is a support group that comes with the program. But heck you have Iboats can't think of a better support group. Do a search on zyban and see if it is for you. GOOD LUCK

ndemge

Commander

Myself and my boss quit first of the year this year.<br /><br />Just walked away from them. I've tried to quit many times. I sucessfully quit on the patch for a month or so once, but went right back to it, because the nicotene was still there.<br /><br />I don't know how I was able to do it this time, but I did it, and made it 5 months so far without so much as a single puff. NOT ONE.<br /><br />The First day, about 50 times, it crossed my mind, "just have one".... NO! Walk away, the craving will leave.<br /><br />I got more done that first week than I usually get done in a year. I could not just sitt still or it would get to me. As soon as I got home, I'd work on stuff until it was time to go to bed, If I got a bad craving, start working on something else.<br /><br />The MAIN thing to keep in mind:<br />The Only Rule:<br /><br />You can not REWARD yourself for NOT smoking With a Smoke! <br /><br />A week of non smoking does NOT Mean you can get a Cigar when your in the gas station.... bucause you will be right back in the habit.<br /><br />I aquired quite an addiction to Flavor Ice, but I'm not smoking.<br /><br />I've gained 20 LBS ... but I'm not smoking, but am working on that now.<br /><br />This is 5 Months for me, I'm not out of the woods yet, and anyone that can quit for more than 1 day will get my applause, and I will chear you on the next time you are ready to do it. <br /><br />If you DO screw up and have one.... Put it out and start over.<br /><br />Don't tell anyone your quitting.... I've done that lots of times, and then you see someone a month later.. "I thought you quit" ... bla bla, let them figure it out on their own.<br /><br />A few years ago, I told someone in our community band.. "I quit smoking"... it had been 2 weeks. he said, "Tell me that in a year" I was never able to tell him that.<br /><br />I'm on 5 months now,,, I can't WAIT for January so I can tell him "it's been a year"<br /><br />You've got a support group right here,<br /><br />GaugeGuy, and a few others are working on Not Smoking, and a few people here are doing well on their diets. Keep talking, Start a Thread EVERY DAY if you need to support!

gaugeguy

Captain

I fell off the wagon for 1 smoke which turned into a pack about a month or so ago. So now I am having to quit again, and my 5 month smoke-free is now just a three week smoke-free period. I felt like such a loser, but I'll do it this time. :(

18rabbit

Captain

Wellbutrin, Zoloft, and Prozac … they are all supposed to be effective in helping someone quit smoking. I have thought about this and haven’t figured it out… all of the antidepressants takes weeks, sometimes as much as 12-weeks, before the user sees the effects. The physical effects of nicotine withdrawal is over in 3-days. Maybe the chemistry effect on depression is different than nicotine??? Or maybe the chemistry also helps suppress urges after the initial withdrawal???<br /><br />Gaugeguy – there is no “failure” … only a pause in the success. 3-weeks is 3-weeks you would not have had otherwise. It is SUCCESS!!! :) Hang in there…as you know, 3-weeks is about the roll-off point of the serious psychological cravings. You’re made it!!! :)

ndemge

Commander

Now even at 5 months... I still have a craving... not the insane nic-fits that I would have from time to time before.<br /><br />Sure, I MISS it, as odd as that might sound, but I like breathing more. I ain't ready for that Coffin (or the coughin)<br /><br />Gauge guy..... Glad your back on track and didn't wait another year.

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, you guys have inspired me. I really do want off these stupid things! I have bought a new box of patches and am starting quiting over. To be honest, one of my biggest fears is weight gain. As a teenager, I was "husky", on the verge of fat. Kids are cruel, and when I lost the "husky" in the army, I promised myself to never go back! I have watched my weight to the point of obsession since, and am affraid I will loose control. If it came down to it, I think I would probobly start smoking again if too much weight is gained. HELP ME!!!

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is called: "WILL POWER!!!"
I'll bet you never smoked? Your concept is very easy to understand, but is the hardest thing I have ever done!

FLATHEAD

Captain

Quit a two pack a day habit 23 years ago cold turkey. I made myself a promise not to smoke around my kids, the day my son was born I put them down. <br /><br />You have to really want to quit, not just to put them down but to resist the urge when it comes along. Flyrod is 100% right, Will power is the key, without it you will never make it. <br /><br />Good luck.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I quit smoking on January 5 this year. The bad news is I am still chewing the nicorette gum. I chew 5 pieces a day of the 2mg gum. My jaw is about to fall off of my face from all the chewing but I have no desires to smoke. I buy the target nicorette at half the cost so it cost me about 28 bucks for 21 days versus 90 bucks for smokes for three weeks. I have not gotten rid of my nicotine addiction but have reduced the harm that smoking does concerning tar and other harmful ingredients like arsnic, carbon monoxide and what ever else. I am suppose to be off nicorette after 3 months but feel it is less of a physical hazard to me then the cigarettes. Maybe someday I will quit chewing but for now it works for me. Good luck.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Bixll!!<br /><br />Smoked many years ago, quit cold turkey!!! <br /><br />Very good friend of mine smoked 3packs a day. Tried cold turkey, couldn't quit. Tried all the stop smoking products and couldn't quit, he kept smoking till the day he had a "HEART ATTACK!!!! bypass surgery. He is up and around and still enjoying life!!!<br /><br />He hasn't smoked in 2 years!!! He quit cold turkey which is 'WILL POWER!!!!" ;) :cool:

mcginleyc

Seaman Apprentice

Boy guys keep up the good work with the quitting smoking. I have not smoked in my lifetime, but I have chewed tobacco (skoal). This is very similar to cigarettes, and has nicotine that goes directly into the bloodstream. It sounds gross to smokers, but it is widely accepted by athletes and is very addictive. Cancer of the mouth is emminent just like lung cancer. I did this for 5 years and finally quit because I made my mind up that nothing was going to control me like this was doing to my life. I quit by gradually cutting down to the point where I only had one "dip" per day. I then took the plunge and quit it all together. Good luck guys! PS. Fly Rod I am new to this forum and am going to marine mechanics school in florida and I am originally from Ipswich. I like to hear about the Striper Scene. Are they in yet and how do you think this season will shape up? Hope you slam them hard!

Link

Rear Admiral

BiXLL<br />This may sound stupid or really out there but it works. <br />Brain Training. (goes along with will power)<br />In the mid 80's I saw a vcr tape by I think Wayne Dryer (sp) about quiting drinking a soda product while taking a small buisness class.<br />He said that after decieding not to drink this every day, that when he got the urge to get one, he reminded himself that he didnt do this anymore. And after awhile he no longer craved it.<br /><br />Well I applied this to smoking when around my wifes family as her and none of her family smoke.<br />The first couple times going 4-5 hours was tough.<br />(I was reminding myself every five minutes LOL)<br /> but now and for the last 18 years NO-Problem. My brain is trained that when with family I dont smoke and dont crave it.<br />Last Sunday on mothers day we picked up my mother in law at 8am and dropped her off at 9pm and all day didnt worry about it. Just isnt a issue as my brain was trained 18 years ago.<br /><br />(Puff, Puff, Puff, on the way home though :) )<br /><br />All elected (and news media)people know this simple truth. If you tell a lie enough times it will become fact! In the peoples mind. (Their Brain)<br /><br />So LIE to your Brain and it will become the truth.<br />Scarey thought EH?<br />Glad to hear you quit smoking. (Brain training)<br /><br />Link<br />PS Congrads on being a non smoker.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

This might help. <br /> <br />My Dad always said he would quit when cigs went up to 35 cents a pack.<br /> <br />Well he never did of course. <br /> <br />We all watched him die of lung cancer in 6 months 10 years ago. <br /> <br />The only good thing was that it was quick. <br /> <br />He would have loved to have gotten to know his grandchildren.

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I quit at the same time as spinner. One word of advice avoid an evening filled with drinks. Im back to smoking again