Smoking problem

63 Evinrude

Cadet
I started my 63 Evinrude 18hp today for the 15th or so time after a rebuild and the motor is still smoking very bad and will only run at high rpms. I mixed the oil a little over 50:1 and have new everything plugs, wires and everything on the armature plate. I tied to adjust the Idle needle valve and the high speed needle and this had no effect. The motor will continue to run if I give it a lot of throttle but will die after about 15 seconds.

ajp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Smoking problem

Smoke indicates plenty of oil in the gas. No real worry. If it won't stay running, your needles are not set right or you are sucking air. Read the service manual.

alcan

Commander

Hi 63 evin<br />If you just rebuilt your motor it should smoke. As someone on this board put it, it should smoke like a camp fire in the rain. You should run double the oil during the initial start-up and break-in period (that's a 25:1 ratio). Remember during the over-haul the needle bearing greese and assembly lube all needs to get burned out of there. Then there is the question Solittle asked. It sounds to me like the main nozzel gasket in the carb is missing or needs replaced. Be sure when you set the needle valves you remove the knobs and or linkages. This will help insure you in fact lightly seat and back out each neeedle correctly. It took me a year and a half once to figure out that a large chrome knob had been jammed too far on the the needle valve. This allowed the knob to bottom out, not the needle. Once you have your carb problem sorted out, and you get responce from your needle adjustments. After a few minutes running, dial in the needles ( usually they need leaned some), the smoke will clear to a tolerable level, even running double oil. Of course after break-in go with 50:1. Don't go too lean, too lean = no oil, let her smoke some for a while.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

Carb removal and cleaning (or rebuilding) is easy, with a little practice. If you don't know how a carburetor is put together (I didn't), you can find a parts blow up in many manuals covering OMC engines. Basically, you can make a radical improvement by cleaning out the low speed and high speed jets along with the main jet. I use carb cleaner and some fine wire. If adjusting the high speed and low speed knobs have no effect on a running engine, the carb is probably badly in need of cleaning.