Smoking '87 225

redddog23

Cadet
Guys,<br /> I have a '87 225 that is in great shape. Turns 5800rpm WOT and test 105 to 110 on all 6 cylinders. BUT I have this one nagging problem.<br />On cold startup or after it has sat off an 30 minutes or longer, it smokes like a fogger! Once you run it for a few minutes or so it is fine and will not smoke unless you stop for 30-60 minutes and then restart. <br />I know I will get some smoke on startup as this model predates Quickstart. I am the original owner and it never used to smoke this bad on startup.<br />I have checked the recirculation system and it test fine acording to the manual.<br />I have seen a few post about the VRO "leaking" oil<br />under pressure. The VRO is about 3 years old.<br />Any ideas guys????<br />Reddog

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Smoking '87 225

RedDog.... Excessive smoking would be caused by an over abundance of oil in my line of thought. This would lead me to doubt the present quality of the VRO pump.<br /><br />The recirulating valves that you mention... they may be failing but that would affect overall performance of the engine. The only way you can actually check those valves is to either remove them and test for a one way flow, or to check them while installed via a vacuum/pressure pump. I doubt that the problem is in this area.<br /><br />I've encountered this type problem in the past and replacing the VRO has always been the cure. However, that's an expensive gamble should there be a weird cause lurking somewhere.<br /><br />A rebuild kit should be available for that VRO at your local dealership. With three years running on it, perhaps that would be the route to take.

redddog23

Cadet

Thanks Joe..<br />The recirculation valves test fine.<br />And in every other respect the engine runs great.<br />Only excessively smokey at cold start up or restart after being off for 30 plus minutes. So oil must be building up somewhere.<br />Maybe next outing I will run it on a premix outboard tank and see if the symptoms disappear...<br />Thanks for your thoughts<br />Reddog

redddog23

Cadet

Joe,<br /> What goes wrong with the VRO that causes this problem?

clanton

Rear Admiral

Check valve in pump leaking, send to DFI for rebuild, they will replace valve.

redddog23

Cadet

Thanks Clanton....<br />I have a spare VRO that was taken off when I put this one on. I keep it as a back-up. I'll send it off for a rebuild..

redddog23

Cadet

Just wanted to let everyone know that the new VRO solved the smoking startup problem. <br />My thanks to Joe Reeves and Clanton for nailing the problem.<br />Good Boating....<br />Reddog