Smokey Mariner

jcskeeter

Cadet
Hi there. I have a '89 Mariner 175. Lately it has been really smokey when it idles. Like really bad. I don't know what it could be. It seems to be running fine and doesn't smoke on WOT. It runs nice and smooth WOT. Could there be a setting where the oil mixes with the gas that got out of wack or something? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Smokey Mariner

Hi there. I have a '89 Mariner 175. Lately it has been really smokey when it idles. Like really bad. I don't know what it could be. It seems to be running fine and doesn't smoke on WOT. It runs nice and smooth WOT. Could there be a setting where the oil mixes with the gas that got out of wack or something? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Different oils smoke differently. If it's the same as you've been using......

The next step would be to check the linkage between the throttle and the oil injection pump. If it's mis-adjusted or broken, could be giving it too much oil at idle.

It's in the maintenance manual.

Hope it helps
John

jcskeeter

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to check the linkage for sure. I was reading some other posts and it looks like that is a possibility. I also realized I put a can of sea foam in the gas tank and I think it might be a little strong on the mix. Too much sea foam in not enough gas. Could be that. I guess I see what happens when I thin it out more when I put more gas in.

Laddies

Banned

Can't say about the seafoam never used the stuff, but inlets leaking or high float levels will cause them to smoke alot.

BrandonD

Cadet

My 85 175hp was smokin real bad in idle and it turned out to be a busted head gasket. What color is the smoke? I'd take out each spark plug and see if any of them are totally clean. If they are you probably have water getting into the cylinder. When I checked this it was real obvious that water was getting into a cylinder. There was even a little water build up under the spark plug