Smokey 140hp johnson

marclee

Cadet
Hi all<br />I hope someone can help me. My motor was just serviced by a reputable mechanic. The problem I have is that the motor is very smokey on start wether it is cold or hot. This also occours if it stands idle for a while. It smells very rich and is using more fuel than before.My fuel is pre mix.Could this be the choke causing this. The problem only started about 2 weeks ago and before that it was fine.The other information is when you accelerate from idle it seems to stuter but then picks up fine and does not smoke while in normal operating conditions. THANKS BUDDA

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Smokey 140hp johnson

Well, lets start at the begining. What 140 do you have? A model number will tell us. <br /><br />What spark plugs are you using?<br /><br />What all (in detail) did the mechanic do?

marclee

Cadet
Re: Smokey 140hp johnson

Dhadley<br />Model number is aj120tlcur however the power head was changed 3 years ago and a 140HP and carbs were fitted.Serial no is a7355663.As far as I know from what he told me new plugs fitted checked the timing changed water pump and gearbox oil. Changed the thermostat diaphrams as they were perished.Spark plugs are B9HS10.He checked cylinder psi all within 10psi 130,130,135,140. When I first got the boat the presures were higher at 160psi.Checked all fuel line and visualy inspected motor for damage.