Smoked Impeller?

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, I think I finally did it. Last night we were in a mad dash to get our docks out of the Susuquehanna River due to flood warnings.....again. In my haste I fired up my 3.0 Volvo Penta SX without lowering the drive and I am pretty sure I cooked the impeller. I had it choked and it revved pretty good before I could get it lowered (about 3-4 seconds) but I think that did it. We were out in the river on our way to get the docks and my overheat alarm went off so back on the trailer she went. So, my question to you all is, does this sound like the impeller or could it be a thermostat issue or something else? Keep in mind, the boat is well taken care of, winterized properly, and has run flawlessly until then. Any input will be appreciated.

*In case anyone was wondering, we ended up taking the docks apart in a rapidly rising river and carried them up a muddy, 18 foot, steep embankment. I guess the summer is over.:(

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Smoked Impeller?

You can "cook" an impeller in less than 5 seconds with no water. Time to change it.

Maclin

Admiral

Take the impeller out and look at it. If no pieces are missing then just replace it a new one. If pieces are missing then you have to spend some more time finding all of them and flushing them out. In general this is not a season ending event.

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the input guys. I already have an impeller ordered and will pick it up tomorrow. Is this something I can do myself in a short period of time or should I just have my local guy do it? I have tools and a brain but very little time.

Maclin

Admiral

At the top of this forum there are some topics that are always at the top, one is named "MUST HAVE Technical Information for DIYers." There are Volvo specific links, and those lead to service manuals and procedures, all there for the DIYer. I am certain you will find the impeller r&r there for your engine.

Mine is simple, the pump is on the front of the engine, it takes me about 5 minutes and 2 screwdrivers. You need to find the procedure for yours though. Mine is outlined in my owner's manual where it describes "layup" or winterizing.