Smoke out of Oil Fill Hole

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am getting smoke coming out of my oil fill hole. There is a hose that comes from here and attaches to the top of the flame arrestor. I initially thought I had a bad coil that was causing me to cut off on the water. But now I believe this is the problem. Smoke is coming through this hose and dumping into the flame arrestor and causing the engine to die. What would cause this smoke? It has fresh oil in it. The engine temperature stays between 160 and 170. The oil pressure stays between 20 and about 80. There is no water mixed in with the oil when I pull out the dipstick. Any ideas?

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Smoke out of Oil Fill Hole

What are we working on?

The symptom you describe is called 'blow-by'. I'm guessing head gasket, cracked block, or just a really old, tired engine.

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It is a 1989 5.0 OMC Cobra. Also the hose has suction. I see smoke when the engine dies. I am not so sure it is happening while the engine is running.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Many here know more than I but I'd start with a compression check of the cylinders.

fossill

Chief Petty Officer

If you got that much blow by gasses coming out that hose, your engines shot. Wore out cylinders and rings.

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just hard to believe the engine could be shot. When it is running it runs strong. Then it just dies. Let it sit for a few minutes and it cranks again.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

A compression check and/or a leak down check tell no lies. Start there...