Smoke coming from the back

biggunsrus

Recruit
I have a Glastron GT 185 With a Volvo Penta 4.3L.

I usually have my boat winterized in the fall and then I will take it to the dealership in the spring to have the oil changed before I take it out for the first time. This time, I just decided to have the oil changed at the same time I had it winterized. I took the boat out for the first time yesterday and when I started it there was smoke coming from the back by the prop area. i only let it run for about 20 or 30 seconds as I was not about the ruin the engine. I lifted up the sundeck and there was no smoke coming from the engine nor did it smell like anything was burning but I didnt want to chance it.

Being this is the first time that I started it first in the spring and not the dealership, im wondering if it might just be the winterizing stuff burning off or if it might be something else? Just not sure if this is common or not. Thank you in advance for any replies.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Smoke coming from the back

If your dealership uses fogging oil for the cylinders during the winterization process, then yes some smoke at the first start up is normal. It's just burning that stuff off and doesn't take very long.

sktn77a

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Smoke coming from the back

Do you have a temperature gauge? If that stays normal, then it's just the fogging oil and that should burn off within an minute or so. If the temperature rises above 180 degrees then your impeller is probably shot.