Smoke and CO2 Detector Installation

tpenfield

Staff member
The pre-purchase survey on my boat recommended the installation of both smoke and CO2 detectors in the cabin. I guess the smoke detector is 'required' and the CO2 detector is 'recommended'.

I had ordered the detectors a while ago, so today was 'installation day' . . .

Here are some pictures of the happenings . . .

I chose a blank wall area along side the head partition wall and just inside the hatchway.

IMG_2083.jpg

this location would give me reasonable proximity to the circuit breaker panel at the helm.

I decided to mount the detectors to a piece of starboard in order to hide the wiring. I thought of using a simple conduit, but felt the starboard will give a cleaner appearance.

IMG_2076.jpg

I had to make a channel in the back of the starboard for the wiring . . .

IMG_2081.jpg

Here is the panel and detectors mounted . . .

IMG_2085.jpg

Then I had to wire up a circuit breaker for the new feed to the detector panel. . .

IMG_2079.jpg

I will probably complete the electrical connections tomorrow . . .

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Smoke and CO2 Detector Installation

I finished off the detector installation today . . .

First up was to install the circuit breaker . . . Doesn't match the others, but no worries.

IMG_2093.jpg

It took a while to feed the wiring down in the internals, but I was finally able to route it along some of the bathroom plumbing . . .

IMG_2094.jpg IMG_2096.jpg

Here is the panel installed and operational (green light means OK) . . . :thumb:

IMG_2100.jpg

I feel so safe now . . . .

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral

Nice!

Do those units have batteries for use when the motor/genny isn't running?

tpenfield

Staff member

The smoke runs on its own battery . . . the CO2 is on the main house battery (when on). I figure that when we do overnights, etc, the house battery will be on.