Smoke after rebuild

Japes15

Seaman Apprentice
Ok... I bought a boat with a 1986 150hp evinrude. When the motor was checked out by a mechanic, it ran rough, compression was good, and he said it needs new fuel lines, rebuilt carbs, and a new vro. So... I rebuilt carbs, put new fuel lines on and bit the bullet and bought a new fuel pump (fuel only, no more VRO). After the rebuild I put new fuel in tank at 50:1.

I used the ear muffs and got the motor rolling after the rebuild. Seemed to run great! smooth in and out of gear with no sputtering... The only thing is that it was smoking pretty good. I can't remember if it did this when I first got it checked out... any ideas why its smoking so bad?

Last edited:

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Smoke after rebuild

Im not sure as to what a VRO is but, isnt it an oiling system for the motor?
If so then you have oil injection and oil in the gas = to much oil...
50:1 will smoke a little when its cold, and a little less when warm.

Japes15

Seaman Apprentice

I got a VRO "no oil" pump. So you must pre-mix or engine goes bang:eek:. The original VRO had the oil side plugged and the previous owner was already pre-mixing oil. The gas was a couple years old so I drained it and put new fuel in so I knew I was running 50:1.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Ok... I bought a boat with a 1986 150hp evinrude. When the motor was checked out by a mechanic, it ran rough, compression was good, and he said it needs new fuel lines, rebuilt carbs, and a new vro. So... I rebuilt carbs, put new fuel lines on and bit the bullet and bought a new fuel pump. After the rebuild I put new fuel in tank at 50:1.

I used the ear muffs and got the motor rolling after the rebuild. Seemed to run great! smooth in and out of gear with no sputtering... The only thing is that it was smoking pretty good. I can't remember if it did this when I first got it checked out... any ideas why its smoking so bad?

1986 should be a VRO system and if your motor still has the VRO hooked up and you are also premixing your fuel then you will be doubling your oil mix to around 25 to 1.
Check for an oil resevoir tank being hooked up to the motor.

Japes15

Seaman Apprentice

1986 should be a VRO system and if your motor still has the VRO hooked up and you are also premixing your fuel then you will be doubling your oil mix to around 25 to 1.
Check for an oil resevoir tank being hooked up to the motor.

see last post... sorry I wasn't more clear in my first post. I edited it. Maybe this will help, its the only picture I have. It also only ran for about 2 min before I shut if off... Pee stream was great so no worries of overheating.

Attachments

• 8317_1133321500389_1447830050_30432152_6295921_n.jpg
    8317_1133321500389_1447830050_30432152_6295921_n.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 0

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

see last post... sorry I wasn't more clear in my first post. I edited it. Maybe this will help, its the only picture I have. It also only ran for about 2 min before I shut if off... Pee stream was great so no worries of overheating.

Looks like we were typing at the same time there !!!!
It actually does not look to bad from the photo.
Suggest a decarb to clear any cobwebs. Check the "Top Secret Files" at the top of page one in this section.

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

He said FUEL ONLY.

Yes you can get a lot of smoke on muffs. Have you finished the carb adjustments?
Did you do a link and sync?

Japes15

Seaman Apprentice

not sure what a decarb is... and I have not messed with adjusting the carbs... I didn't mess with any of the sync parts so my hope was that I wouldn't have to when I got it all back together.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

That doesn't look too bad. It'll be less on the water. Or use full synthetic for even less smoke.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

not sure what a decarb is... and I have not messed with adjusting the carbs... I didn't mess with any of the sync parts so my hope was that I wouldn't have to when I got it all back together.

Check the top secret files at the top of page 1

SparkieBoat

Captain

yes on the lots of smoke when running cold and with muffs...it is probably ok...make sure your carbs are adjusted properly....I rarely see a hooked up VRO anymore....LOL I just ordered the fuel pump only replacement for my 150. Should be in tomorrow
I do not think that you can rebuild the VRO pump..so its just buy a new one if it quits...Can you rebuilt the fuel only version???? Thats my question in my answer to a question.

Sparkie

Bifflefan

Commander

Smoking looks about normal.
The decarb is "Seafoam" gets the carbon build up off the piston heads and such. Smokes like a house on fire...Good thing is no skeeters for a while.

Japes15

Seaman Apprentice

I was told that there were 3 ways to go about getting a new fuel pump... #1 was go with a $350 true VRO pump. #2 was a VRO "no oil" (which i found for $280). and #3 was buying 2 $100 fuel pumps and jerry rig it to work... and I THINK you can rebuild the VRO "no oild" but I could be wrong... its brand new so I hope I don't have to worry about that anytime soon...

Japes15

Seaman Apprentice

Checked out the decarb. Sounds easy enough. I'll do that before I put it in the water. It needs a little work to the keel before it gets wet though.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Checked out the decarb. Sounds easy enough. I'll do that before I put it in the water. It needs a little work to the keel before it gets wet though.
Decarb is well worth it.
Good luck and keep us all posted.