SMART TAPS

ronrburris

Cadet
Catfish, thank you for your response. Is there anyone out here running "SMART TAPS" on their boats besides catfish? The claims made by the manufacture sound logical and great, but I would like to hear from boat owners that have had some experience with them.<br /><br />Captain Glastron Ron

catfish1

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: SMART TAPS

the most noticable difference for me was faster to plane with little to no bow rise (huge difference). another thing i noticed is the low speed wander i had before was completely gone! i could let go of the steering wheel and it goes dead straight. my boat is a 14ft bayliner, i cant say how much difference you'd notice on a larger boat but they are well worth the money, i cant wait til this summer to go run it. :)

LubeDude

Admiral

Im going to be doing a test on two different boats this spring, an 18' Bass Tracker with a 150 Merc, and a 21' Lavey Craft I/O with a 454. All before and after facts will be posted.

Sivart

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 16 ft bayliner trophy bass boat.<br />After installing the trim tabs It really planes out faster and the low speed wandering is almost gone. I do like the performance it has now. The main reason I installed them was to eliminate the porpoising. It did not eliminate that. I still have no regrets about the trim tabs.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Sivart;<br />Anytime you (or anyone else) is not completely satisfied please do not hesitate to call 800-233-0194.<br /><br />As for your porpoising, it should have at least been reduced, and with an increase in the pressure adjustment on the trim plate bracket (move the ball stud up and away from the plate)the porpoising should be eliminated.<br /><br />If this does not do it, you need to call me as this is not acceptable performance.<br /><br />John

mattttt25

Commander

john, not to jump on rons post, but i had another question- with the tabs always adjusting and providing pressure- how does the trim feature work? will i still be able to control the attitude of my boat? won't the tabs interfere? thanks-

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

MATTTTT25;<br /><br />The trim will continue to function as before, because the plates do not exert excessive pressure in the horizontal position. Additionaly the plates do not bottom out when compressed since the stroke of the actuator allows the plates to move about 14 degrees above horizontal.<br /><br />Keep in mind that the system is never rigid. <br /><br />Also keep in mind that the tabs will make the boat less dependent on the trim. You will be able to plane easily with the motor trim at 0 - not negative.<br /><br />The name of the game is that we control the amount of lift, and not allow it to escalate.<br /><br />I understand that it is hard to imagine, and the only way is to try them. They just plane work, beyond your expectations.

mattttt25

Commander

thanks again john. hopefully the tabs show up before the weekend. if so, they're being installed!

richg99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nauti-John...was that "They just plane ( plain) work ": an intended pun....or have you been working too many hours??? ho ho ho RichG

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Richg99;<br /><br />A little of both! <br /><br />By the way we have a number of Carolina Skiff customers.