"Smart Tabs"

ronrburris

Cadet
Has anyone put "Smart Tabs" on a Glastron? I have a GX185 abd thinking about it...<br /><br />Captain Glastron Ron :confused:

mattttt25

Commander
Re: "Smart Tabs"

ron, see my post on the subject, under boat topics. i'm sure all the same info applies. good luck with your decision.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Ron;<br /><br />If your look for application information regarding the installation, go to www.nauticusinc.com and down load the instruction manual. If it is a performance issue you can also read what the various magazines have written by clicking on "product tests". If you have any specific questions please contact us or ask on this forum.

JasonB

Lieutenant

I have, but t is a 30 year old Glastron ;) <br /><br />Good product though.

edandq

Seaman Apprentice

I have looked at these for my 1970 Startcraft 16' SS. The boat runs fine, but at slower speeds the bow rides way up. Was looking for a way to get it on plane quicker, I have considered these or the Doel Fin... is there a substantial difference? Don't they provide roughly the same thing? I don't have either power trim, well, heck, I don't have power anything... LOL

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Just want to throw in my 2 cents.The smart tabs are probably fine but I hate to put holes in any boat.I put Doelfins on 2 different boats.A 15 ft.<br /> aluminum 50 hp runabout and a 18 ft fiberglass<br />Cobia bow rider.Both boats planed much easier,<br />stayed on plane at less power and seemed to bound around less.The fins do sap a little top speed<br />but I couldnt tell without a speedo.Fins never gave a lick of trouble in 12-15 years even with<br />my mother getting stuck in the mud and rocks every<br />fall at her slip.And only about $30.These may not be as good for a boat capable of more than 40 mph.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Edandq;<br /><br />We are the manufacturer of Smart Tabs and Mobster Tabs (for Bass Boats)just to clarify things.<br /><br />There are many postings on this site regarding Smart Tabs and the comparison to Hydrofoils. I will try to give you some information here that summarizes the other long postings, but it would be best to search this site and / or go to www.nauticusinc.com and look click on user comments and product tests.<br /><br />Both Smart Tabs (Trim Tabs) and hydrofoils add additional planing surface to the boat which helps the boat to plane sooner. The additional surface area should be proportionate to the boat hull size. (Smart Tabs and Mobster Tabs plates come in five different sizes and configueations)<br /><br />Smart Tabs provide far more low speed lift simply because they are larger and attack the water (initialy) at angle. Most boaters feel as though the the bow rise is so little that the transition to plane is almost unnoticeable. Also the 3/4 to full throttle acceleration to plane is not required. Drive the boat like your car when your mother in law is in the back seat.<br /><br />Once on plane the boat should not require excessive lift on the stern, and therefore the tabs move up to the horizontal position (water peasure pushes them up). Although there is some pressure in this position, it is reduced to a maintenence load, and never exceeds this load. What this means is the Tabs will control the ride and handling (eliminate porpoising) but not force the bow down which causes both bow steering and slower speeds. Much like a suspension system on a car. It will improve the ride significantly.<br /><br />Most boaters that use hydrofoils will admit to a loss of top speed and suggest that it is caused by the additonal "drag" on the outdrive. The reduction in speed is not caused by "drag" from the hydrofoil unless the boat is running above 75+ MPH. <br /><br />The reduction is speed is caused by the excessive lift from the hydrofoil after the boat is on plane. Hydrofoils continuously increase lift as the boat goes faster and faster. (like a bare foot water skier - he cannot stay up at slower speeds as his foot (planing surface) is not large enough to lift him, but at higher speeds the water pressure is much higher)<br /><br />The effect is simple, the excessive lift rotates the boat "bow down" which causes bow steering and slower speeds. The cure with electric tilt & trim is to trim the motor out to bring the bow up. The final loss of top speed comes from the incorrect prop angle. It is angled down to raise the bow insted of running perpendicular to the surface of the water. Of course the comprimise of less boat in the water and correct prop angle will help in getting the speed up, but if the prop did not need to waiste torque / thrust raising the bow, it could be run at the correct angle and therefore make the boat run faster. The prop should never be required to do double duty - it's a propller. If the boat / propeller is not efficient then the fuel economy will suffer as well and the inexpensive hydrofoil will increase in cost everytime you use the boat. Just my opinion!<br /><br />If the boat is not too fast (less than 25 MPH WOT) the handling issues will not be a noticable.<br /><br />The extra lift from hydrofoils placed at the center of the boat will also cause port to starboard instability like a teeter totter. And, if the foil happens to run below water level (the motor is mounted a bit too low)the foil can act like a rudder. Finaly, it is not a good idea to lift the boat from the motor, if this would be beneficial the motor manufacturers would simply make the cavitation plate (anti-ventilation) larger and they do not. If you do not want to drill holes in the boat (and Smart Tabs are mounted with 1/4" x 3/4" screws) then talk to the boaters that have cracked the cavitation plates due to the excessive stress from hydrofoils.<br /><br />We claim:<br />1) reduce or eliminate low speed wandering<br />2) Reduce Bow Rise 50% or more at any speed<br />3) Hold plane at 35% slower speeds (or better)<br />4) Eliminate porpoising and chine walking<br />5) Improve ride and handling significantly (you be the judge)<br />6) Accelerate to plane easier and more evenly without heavy throttle.<br />7) Eliminate torque lists or permanent load balance listing (ie: kicker morors)<br />8) More level ride both port to starboard and bow to stern.<br />9) Faster time to plane and 0 to 30<br />10) More top speed by 2 to 4 MPH<br /><br />Big claims? To good to be true? Only those who have not used them think so! Read the Money Back Performance Guarantee from Nauticus / iboats on the Mega Mall.

edandq

Seaman Apprentice

Well, that's a lot of information with respect to the tabs. I just want my bow to go down at slower speeds, period. I have a 1970 16' aluminum with an old Johnson 85 hp engine. If the tabs are that good, then it's probably worth the money, just trying to find out what people say. I mean, they seem logical to me.

catfish1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i put smart tabs on my bayliner and they did exactly what nautijohn said they would do. i am very happy with them.<br /><br />nautijohn; i owe you! thanks.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Catfish;<br />Thanks you for your response. Glad to know they are doing what you expect. Stay well.

DAG

Cadet

nautiJohn wrote<br />"Drive the boat like your car when your mother in law is in the back seat."<br /><br />Do you have anything to fix "backseat driving" mother in laws?<br /><br />-Doug ;)