smart tabs

floatingMP

Cadet
My 16' bowrunner will not plane at any speed and the hydrofoil doesnt seem to work, what is the thought on smart tabs? Do they work or a waste of money?

blouderback

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: smart tabs

Uhhmm, your 16' bowrider should plane without tabs. If it isn't planing AT ALL, you have other problems that tabs will only mask, if they help at all.

Do you have the correct prop? What size motor? Outboard or I/O? What's your wide open throttle (WOT) RPMs? Any other history on this boat? Did it ever plane?

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

I agree with blouderback. We need more info. Tabs will do a lot for the boat but it should get on plane without them. Maybe not quickly but eventually.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Tab's with out a doubt will increase your planing time without a doubt. Perhap's better said they will increase your planing time and maximize your hulls effeiency's or ineffefience's greatly, aka you will truly find you boat's true limit's.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I'll third the motion. There is something desperately out of whack here. You are either grossly underpowered or grossly waterlogged below decks. 5200 rpm at only 20 mph does not make any sense.

floatingMP

Cadet

with the boat and motor mentioned what should i be expecting for rmps and speeds..

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

With one person in the boat you should be running closer to 30 MPH.

If the boat ran better before, then something has changed. Obviously! What is it!? What are you keeping in the boat (ie: fishing gear, beer , etc.)

However, it sound to me that the timing is off. You indicated that you have been working on the boat, what have you done?

Tab will make a big difference but you are not getting the HP out of the motor.

If it planed before it should plane now. Get back to square one first then put the tabs on.

floatingMP

Cadet

Thanks, i will check the timing and finish testing the electrical system and let everyone know, thanks again for everyones help..

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

it runs at about 5200 rpms wot with just me at about 20mph if i have the hydrofoil on i can get the bow down almost to plane in about 5-7 minutes but not where it was when i first bought it.

This statement does not indicate a lack of power from the engine. If there was a timing or fuel issue he would not be able to achieve 5200 rpm under what is apparently a tremendous load.

If everthing stated is correct then there has to be another issue somewhere. Like maybe the boat still being strapped to the trailer. You get my point.

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer

Something is whack, my 17' with a Merc 650 (which is probably 50hp with the newer HP rating method) is on plane at 20 mph without issue. My pitch is 12, though, 10.5 seems low for a 16' (but I am +far+ from an expert).

-E

floatingMP

Cadet

i have tried a pitch of 12 and i couldnt reach rpms, if i left the trailer on maybe it would set level...

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Something really screwy here 10.5 pitch is about what you would run on a pontoon.If it used to run faster and now doesn't either something is up with the motor or the boat is waterlogged full of barnacles or tied to the dock.