Smart Tabs on Key West 186dc w/ Swim Platform (limited clearance) ? my install

Bamboo

Seaman
There are a lot of posts about Smart Tabs installations on this forum, but after some extensive searching I couldn?t find any that addressed the exact situation I had on my boat. So I thought I?d post about the ST1290-60 Smart Tab install on my boat since this style platform is used on other brands of dual console boats, too. Because of the swim platform I only had about 8.5 inches of clearance from the bottom of the hull to the underside of the swim platform. Normally, the smart tabs want to see about 10 inches from the bottom of the hull to the top of the transom bracket (I don?t know the exact number). I called John and Nauticus and he was very helpful. They recommended moving the bracket mounted on the trim tab out closer to the aft edge by using the hole farthest aft on the trim tab for the hole on the bracket nearest the transom then drilling a new in the trim tab for the bracket hole farthest from the transom. This would increase the angle of the air spring and decrease the overall height required to mount the tabs. I was able to use the ?leftover? hole to mount a zinc, which I needed anyway since I run in salt water. The installation of the trim tabs themselves went well and I could see that in a normal situation it would take only a couple of hours for a cautious DIY installer. The only other deviation from the normal install instructions was the use of 3M 4000uv (4200 equivalent with UV protection to keep from yellowing) in the drilled holes in addition to the sealant tape supplied with the trim tab kit.

The swim platform complicated things for my install. The goal was to have the tabs as far outboard on each side as possible, while still being able to fit under the swim platform. Prior to taking off the swim platform to make a through hole for the upper bracket, I took measurements and ?dry fitted? the tab assemblies to ensure I wasn?t going to have to gouge out the bottom of the swim platform deck. I then installed the trim tab hinge/trim tab on the transom and located and marked on the swim platform where the upper bracket needed to be located. Next I had to remove the swim platform to make a through hole for the upper bracket. As it turned out, removing the platform was the hardest part. The platform had never been removed before and I wasn?t sure what to expect. On this platform, two of the attaching fasteners are through bolts and the others are screws that go into the transom. One of the through bolts I was able to get to from the inside of the bilge well, the other I had to use a hole saw to create an access port in the aft battery locker. I used a 1.5 inch hole saw and created an oval so I could get my fingers in to attach the nut during the re-installation of the platform. After the install was completed I sacrificed a plastic lid from a white bucket and made a cover for the access hole, then bonded that in place with 3m 4000uv. Actually, it came out looking pretty clean and unnoticeable. The hard part was removing the platform. The factory used adhesive in addition to the fasteners so even after removing them the platform was still firmly attached. I used a de-burred flexible putty knife to break the bonds around the edges, and plastic putty knifes to create a gap as I went around the platform. I then used music wire?a Fender Telecaster sacrificed the high E and B strings for this?to break the bond beyond what the putty knife could reach. I still had a real hard spot that I couldn?t get through, and ended up taking a small patch of gel coat off the transom when the platform finally broke free. It was an easy fix with Marine-tex and a thin coat of Suncure Ultra Clear resin (a UV cured polyester resin used mainly for surfboards). The spot is totally hidden by the swim platform, but still kind of a bummer. In hind sight, after breaking all of the edges free, I think I would have poured some mineral spirits in the gap to soften the adhesive as while cleaning the transom/swim platform I found that mineral spirits removed the old adhesive easily. After creating a through hole for the upper trim tab bracket, the re-installation of the platform was easy. I used the 4000uv for the caulking and adhesive, but used a little less than the factory did.

After getting everything back together I let it sit for a few days to give the adhesive a chance to cure. I took her out for a trial run yesterday and found that even with the 60 pound air springs in the lowest pressure setting (moved all the way towards the transom on the trim tab bracket) I am getting too much stern lift. I attribute this to the increased angle of the air spring in my installation (you can do the trigonometry/second class lever calculations to get an idea of the increase in force required to move the tabs with the air spring at a more acute angle to the trim tabs). Basically, the boat lost a few mph at WOT, in medium hard turns the prop ventilates (it shouldn?t), and in general there is a sense that the boat is dragging at speed. On the plus side, the already good hole shot (it only took about 2-3 seconds before) was like no hole shot at all?just instantly on plane. It reminded me of my brother?s old Master Craft ski boat the way it took off. Anyway, I'll reserve any further comments about the smart tab performance on the boat until they get tuned for the boat. I emailed John about getting a set of lower pressure air springs and after I get a chance to use/adjust them I?ll follow up in this thread.

Ok, I know this was long?but maybe it will help someone else out who has a clearance issue with a bolt on swim platform and wants to use trim tabs.

The attached pics are of the KW 186dc install. I have more if anyone needs.

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 3

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Smart Tabs on Key West 186dc w/ Swim Platform (limited clearance) ? my install

nice job. looks like the best of both worlds.

Bamboo

Seaman
Re: Smart Tabs on Key West 186dc w/ Swim Platform (limited clearance) ? my install

Ok, now that I have had a chance to fine tune and use the Smart Tabs for a while I just wanted to post a follow up.
As mentioned in my first post I ordered the ST1290-60 kit but because of the increased angle of the spring actuators to the trim tab I found the 60 pound springs to be too much. I called Naticus and had some 40 pound spring actuators within a week, and they gave me 30 days to return the old ones. After playing with them through the range of firmness to softness adjustments I found the sweet spot where my WOT increased about 1-2 mph. This turned out to be the position between the middle and softest position - about 1/3 of the slot distance from the softest position which is the position closest to the transom. Since then I have had a chance to run them in this position in conditions ranging from glassy to 2 foot wind chop?not extreme by any means, but these are typical for where/how I use the boat. Overall I am happy with the results. My WOT mph increased 1-2 mph and the engine will now consistently hit the rev limiter at WOT under moderately loaded conditions (before I would usually only hit it at very light conditions), the bow up attitude during the hole shot is less, the hole shot time to plane is better (it wasn't bad to begin with), the motor trim is more useable throughout it's range (this is a huge plus as before when I hit the higher trimmed out positions it would start to porpoise or it was just too nose high), the planing speed is about 4-5 mph less, and the ride has a more solid feel when crossing wakes and in the chop. Even though it was a little more work to get them adjusted and fine tuned than I thought it would be, the work was worth the results. For how I use the boat, these gave me the performance enhancements I was looking for. I'd recommend them to others who want the benefits of tabs, but are not sure that adjustables fit how they use the boat. Thanks to all who posted their experiences as it helped me make the decison to try Smart Tabs.

Hitech

Petty Officer 1st Class

I must be missing something, it doesn't look like the angle is any different that a "standard" mount. However, you've got them tuned, they perform and they look good. :D

BlueRacer

Recruit

Nice job. I very much appreciate the info since I hope to soon own a 186DC. Can I ask why did you not just screw the attachment bracket into the swim platform as opposed to the removal of the platform, etc?

THX

Bamboo

Seaman

Ok- I just saw this and know this reply is waaaay late, but figured that I'd answer the question just in case BlueRacer is still wondering. :D

Answer - Since these things rely on an airspring which is acting on what is basically a lever system to counteract the waterforce on the trim tab, I felt that it would be good to keep the geometry of the smart tabs equal on each side.

BTW - No regrets on the install. They work great and are holding up well.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Nice job!! looks good!!

Petercoach22

Cadet

Hi , Banboo, first congratulations, I think you really got it,,,I just got a 2007 DC , with a 115 yamaha, I will like to bother you with one stupid question? how should I use the 30gl baitwell? I know that to keep the bait alive (sardines) water must be oxigen all the time and running....but if I am fishing in a spesiphic spot, I have to keep the motor running to not drain the batteries?
Sorry for my ignorance but I am not quiet sure about this.
Thank you '
Peter
my email is rodr3075@bellsouth.net

Attachments

• IMG00014.jpg
    IMG00014.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 0