Smart Tabs on an ‘87 SS201?

jeb6294

Seaman
I’ve been researching Smart Tabs as a possible replacement for the foil that was on the boat when we got it. I did a search for Smart Tabs in the Starcraft section and I think I may have found the answer my first question from some of the photos:
1) Will these mount on an aluminum boat the same as fiberglass? I don’t want to have to burrow down to add plywood backing or anything.
2) Do I use the chart on the website (it’s saying 60lb)? I’m sure chart is assuming fiberglass boats, but I honestly don’t know how much this thing weighs compared to fiberglass.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
They are adjustable if you find the full force is too much you can lower it. You can use the wood screws in the transom but the bottom fasteners need to be different. I used closed end blind rivets for the bottom fasteners of the tabs and I used some 5200 as well as an adhesive/sealer.

jeb6294

Seaman
Seems like the stuff I’ve seen on here are guys with outboards. Wondering if I’m comparing apples and oranges since we’ve got an I/O. I don’t have a row of rivets across the transom like some of the pictures I’ve seen. There’s also a few mounts already screwed at the bottom of the transom, but those were just for transducers.
1BAA25B3-1915-4042-BDA2-CFFF5C20B0B3.jpeg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah they stopped putting in the bracket at the bottom to hold the transom as it was found to not be needed, my 79 SS doesn't have one either. Still the transom wood doesn't go clear to the bottom of the boat. there's some distance of maybe 1 - 1.5" so that's right where the bottom support of the tab would go. Check yours to be sure.