Smart Tabs - My review from first outing

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well, I put Smart Tabs on my boat during the off-deason and today was the first day out, so I'll report what I found. Background info: 19' BR 1985 Mercruiser 200hp V-8, somewhat stern heavy boat and fairly heavy for it's size boat in general. I got the 60# Smart tabs, installed per instructions.

First off, much better handling at no-wake speed. Big problem before, no big problem now. Next, out of the hole MUCH improved. I was on plane in a few seconds whereas maybe 5-6 sec before with a pronounced bow raising. With ST the bow stays low and she pops right up.

WOT speed was about 38 mph last year and I only got 35 today with the STs. Only getting around 3700 rpm so I need prop change. Several factors, including my throttle cable seemed "off" so I wasn't sure I was giving it full juice. However, i'll have to read the ST adjustment info in the manual and try to reduce the drag a bit. I'm not sure how I reduce their effect, but I know it's discussed in the manual.

Overall, very promising results, I'd say. I'll try for a better top end even if i lose a small amount of the out-of-hole ST effect. I also will try a lower pitch prop to get my rpms up.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Smart Tabs - My review from first outing

Sounds like they work great.Before you change props adjust the tabs for less pressure to get your max speed.It should not affect the hole shot.
Then check throttle linkage to make sure your getting WOT.Had a complete tune up?

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah, I have a few things to deal with. First off, I need to GPS my speed to make sure my 'ometer is close. I also will make the ST adjustment - anyone know if this can be done in the water? Even if it can, it's about 45 deg. water in the lakes here so it may be a bit before I get to that.

My throttle cables may need adjusting or replacing according to folks in the Mercruiser forum. I may have the marina do that and a tuneup while they're working on that. may cost a bit of $$$ but I need a proper "baseline" to start with for getting the prop right.

With the STs I just need a bit less pressure so I can get the bow up a little bit when cruising on plane. The bow seemed to be pushing down even when I trimmed all the way out. I left the ST instructions on the boat (in a slip 35 min away) so I haven't read how to adjust for this yet.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

You may be running with too much stern lift (bow pressure)which is easy to correct, but I would check a few other things first. One make sure you are trimming the motor out once you are at cruising speeds. Two if you have a hydrofoil on the out drive, remove it. Two tie the Smart Tabs up and run a before test especially at WOT, to see if the RPM's go above 3700 (which is way too low). Then drop the tabs and re-check. If the RPM's and speed are higher when the tabs are not in use, then reduce the pressure (at the trim plate bracket only) about 1/2". Then try it abain.

Make sure the engine is tuned properly, because the low RPMs seem to be more of an ignition / fuel issue than the trim tabs adjustment. Let us know.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks John. I have the marina doing a tuneup now and I'll try the tie-up idea for testing next time out. It's no big deal to adjust them so I'll likely try a few spots on the bracket and see how it runs. I'm sure I can find the right adjustment to keep a nice low-end improvement as well as some bow lift at high throttle.

John, just out of curiosity, do many marinas sell Smart Tabs as distributors for your company or is it all direct sales to users? Seems like a great way to make customers happy and make some money if I owned a marina where lots of smaller boats were serviced.

Keep up the good work! Glad to see you floating around the boating forums helping folks with your product.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

TMH;

We do sell distributors and dealers. More and more each year, but you would be surprised how many dealers don't know of our product (after 7 years), and how many more don't think they will work. The most common thing we hear is "our boats don't need trim tabs", and "If a boat does there must be something wrong with the hull."

Unfortunately, they have been tell the lie so long they now believe it. Trim Tabs, either helm controlled or Smart Tabs, will improve the overall performance of any boat. They are an extension of the hull which can be adjusted to suite the conditions. In other words the hull design is changed on demand. How can it not improve the performance? The hull design dictates the performance of the boat.

When you pull the tabs up and run it you will understand.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yep, the old "properly designed boats don't need them" is, of course, nonsense. "Need" is a tricky little word in this case. I didn't NEED them on my boat either.....but they sure improved the ride! The reality is, the tabs will at the very least help the boat perform more like a bit longer boat, which MOST boaters want, especially for $150 or so. While it's true many boats do NOT suffer from crappy hole shot, overweight stern, etc. the reality is tabs will have some effect on these boats, but I see the arguement if they say "my boat doesn't need them" IF they mean "I don't believe it's worth the money and effort to install on my boat" which may be true if the performance is already as desired.

I now have no fear of struggling to quickly get up on plane when loading lots of people/gear on my boat - that was very important. I want to do water sports with my entire family and a few friends on board, not having to sit on shore because the boat bogs down!

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK, I did as John said, tested with the tabs pulled up and yes, I DID get a bit higher rpm (3900) and mph (2-3 higher) without the tabs. Hole shot was not as good, of course. Then had the engine tuned (mechanic said it was running very well already) and moved the tabs in (towards transom) on the tab bracket. Still not as good WOT rpms or moh (maybe gained 100 rpm and 1 mph or so from original tab setting.

So....what's my next step? The tabs are already as far in at the plate as they can go. Do I move the transom attachment up a bit?

It is also obvious I need a lower pitch prop, which I am working on. I have a 16P Piranha 4-blade I may try and I am getting a 17" SS 3-blade to try out as well. This should get me closer to recommended rpm range. If I can get a bit more bow lift when on plane and WOT so I can trim out more that should also help - that's where the ST adjustments come in.

I was hopeing that all the wet foam I removed plus cleaning the hull would show more performance improvement from how the boat ran last season when i bought it. However, I maybe am getting 150 rpm and 1-2 mph more out of it at best, so......new prop needed.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

It seems that your boat is a bit outside of the norm.. The 60 Lb actuators should have done the trick in the low setting. we will exchange the actuators, at no charge however I would like to talk to you about the boat as something does not sound right.

Regards

John

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

John, I'm going to try a different prop in a week or two then I'll call your customer svc. # if I still am having any issues. I'm overpropped now, so no use fine tuning until I get closer to recommended RPM range. I know I need to drop in pitch regardless of ST performance, so I might as well do that first.

Thanks again for the great service. I have recommended your product to several others already and will continue to do so. Proactive customer service is rarely seen anymore and I appreciate it. It makes it much easier to recommend a product to friends when you know they won't be left hanging!

timheis

Cadet

Do the Smart Tabs interfere with trailering?