Smart Tabs. Do they do the job?

budblas

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 19' Bayliner Capri Cuddy with 125 Force.<br />I have only one complaint. Both batteries and 10hp<br />kicker are on the port side and with my wife in the seat on that side, I'm running at a list to port all the time. I can't talk her over to my side so, I gotta do something. Somewhere in this forum I saw 'Smart Tabs' mentioned. I can't find it now. I went to the ST site and found Model ST1290-80 for about $200.00. <br />Here's my question: Do they work and are they worth the cost? I'd prefer to stay away from any system that requires wiring, hydraulics, switches etc. Just more to go on the blink.<br />Thanks for any advice,<br />Bud

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Smart Tabs. Do they do the job?

Not sure about the smart tabs for that kind of imbalanace. Why not move the batteries over to the other side?

budblas

Seaman Apprentice

Built in cooler under that seat. Major wiring job.<br />Bud

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lots of lovers of the smart tabs on this site. I've never used them, I've got hydraulic tabs and love them. If you always have the same list, you might get by with a set of fixed tabs. They would be cheaper.

catfish1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

there is no wiring, hydraulics, or anything to smart tabs. i just installed a set on my bayliner last week. i didnt put them on because of a list, but i think they would probably correct a list if the tab on the opposite side of the list were adjusted slightly from like a 25 degree angle to like a 30 degree angle. <br />i dont know for sure but i'm sure nautijohn will ring in here. he really knows his stuff!<br /><br />ps. i'm taking the boat out for a test run this week, i will post results!

Mettaree

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go to Nauticus web site and look at the installation manual. I just installed a set of ST-1290's - no problem, easier with two sets of hands - one holding - one marking. Haven't tried mine yet but will post results when I do.<br /><br />Count your Blessings<br />Not your troubles<br /><br /> Jim

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

To answer your question regarding the permanent list, it is easy. Because the system is adjustable, you simply increase the pressure on the side to which the list occurs, and / or reduce the pressure on the opposite side. My first suggestion is to install the tabs per the directions without compensating for the list. Then run the boat. You may find that the list is gone. If not, reduce the lift pressure on the side opposite the list by loosening one 1/2" nut and moving the actuator mounting possition closer to the plate. The brackets attached to the plate have a 2 1/2" long slot for mounting the actuator and allowing for adjustments. Moving the actuator mount up or down this slot allows you to increase or decrease the amount of lift (changes the leverage point). By having more lift on one side and less on the other, you are able to correct listing. This adjustment does not change the angle. <br /><br />Keep in mind that because the system is always active, a correction is automatically in process. However, if the correction needs to be more then you have the ability to make the adjsutment. This should not take more than a few minutes, and it is covered in the instructions.<br /><br />By the way, you will get far more than a list correction from these tabs. Call 800-233-0194 if you need more information.

budblas

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks nautiJohn and others. I think that answers my question. I'll look for a dealer here and if none, I'll order on line. <br />Thanks again,<br />Bud

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Try Stevenson Marine or Call Western Marine ( our distributor) at 604-253-3322 ( 1494 Powell St. Vancouver BC) for a dealer closest to you.<br />Thank You for your interest.

budblas

Seaman Apprentice

nautiJohn;<br />Done. Thanks.<br />Bud