Smart Tabs - Can they do what I hope?

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am seriously considering getting some smart tabs for our boat.

We have a 2006 Maxum 1800 SR3, Mercruiser 4.3L MPI with 4 blade SS prop, Wake tower, and extended swim platform.

Here are what I am hoping to achieve in priority order:
1) Reduce the size of the wake for slalom skiing. (will get PR500's for wakeboarding)
2) Increase holeshot
3) reduce bow rise
4) decrease planing speeds
5) reduce wander at slow speeds

My main reason is to reduce the wake size.

At first I was thinking I would need the 80# actuator, but I am second guessing and thinking the 60# may be more apropriate.

Am I asking too much of these?

I have emailed John @ nauticus, but since it is the weekend I figured I would ask here as well.

Thanks

semo549

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Smart Tabs - Can they do what I hope?

I have them on my 18' searay. Does just about everything you mentioned. I put a removable pins on the tabs for wakeboarding. They definitely do make the wake smaller and more washy. I have the #60's on my boat. Best $100 I ever spent. Got them from cabelas on sale.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

Get the 60s, that is what I have on my boat and it is considerably heavier than yours. They work as advertised and don't break the bank. I did notice some spray from mine but I plan to sand the fins off the bottom of mine to try and get rid of that. I like the removable pin idea.

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies Semo & Superpop!

Sounds like these may do the trick I am hoping for!

The PR500 I am planning on getting allows you to flip the tab up with the flip of a lever. It looks like it will only raise the top eye of the actuator about 2" or 2-1/2", but that should be enough to let the boat settle in for a fatter wake (I hope).

Cheers

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

While tabs in general can improve lots of handling issues; over agressive application can
reduce mpg.Probably difficult to measure without a flow meter.Being able to fully release tabs
coulds be an advantage.

nlain

Commander

I do not know about the wake, I do know that they will increase hole shot, decrease bow rise, decrease planing speed, increase fuel mileage, for lack of a better term. I have them on my 185 SeaRay Sport and love them. If you are getting them with the flip up lever that will bring them up and out of the way, do not know what they will do to the wake then. Talk to John from Nauticus, he will steer you straight.

Shabah 182

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a pair of 60 lb actuators on the smart tabs on my 18 foot Mariah and they do everything you are looking for. I added them last season so I have a before and after comparison. Bow rise is almost non existent, planing is great at even 18 mph and my wake is pretty flat. My boat has the 4.3 mercruiser in it, like yours. Do it.....you will no be disappointed.

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks steelspike, the mileage is not a huge concern for me right now, but I will try not to get too aggressive with the tabs. I think if I set them to stiff I will end up with a hard wake as the bow is driven into the water too far, and that is no good for slalom.

nlain, I have sent an email to John already, and look forward to hearing from him.

Thanks Shabah, the 60#ers sound like the ticket.

Cheers

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks

TJDave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I installed the Smart Tab SX on my previous 18' boat. Does everything that you described in your first post. Best money I ever spent on that old boat.
The 20' open bow V8 that I own now needs them for all of the same reasons. I bought the stainless version with 80# actuators with the flippy upper bracket. Now I just need to install them.

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply TJDave!

I hope they work out as well for me!

Cheers

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

I installed the stainless steel 80 pounders on my Stingray at the end of the first summer that I owned the boat. I should have bought the Smart Tabs at the same time that I bought the boat!!! The tabs made a huge difference for the better. The tabs result in all the things that you're looking for.