Smart-tabs 30lb vs. 20lb (any 20lb out there for sale?)

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, I bought some used smart tabs (30lb actuators per John) and after a little trial and error believe I've got them adjusted. I do have better planing then without, however not as good as I've had in the past with doel-fin. On the plus side, I really think they do improve handling at speed. My boat is a 13' (3.8m) C3 with a tohatsu 40hp 2-stroke. It was kind of scary at speeds before but now handles quite nicely. I started at a 25-degree angle to the plate as per instructions, with the piston in the middle hole of the tab mount. That provided WAY too much bow force! I then went to the 1st (least pressure) hole and it wasn't quite enough. The 2nd hole was still too much; I left it there and slid the upper bolt to the top of the slot (less angle) and it seems good there. I wish I had a little better control on the hole-shot, but then I get too much bow-down on plane. On retrospect, I probably should have gone with the 20lb actuators.:facepalm: My boat/motor set-up actually falls on the upper end of the 20lb and the lower end of the 30lb.

Does anyone happen to have a couple of 20lb actuators sitting around not being used? they'd like to sell? If need be, I'd consider buying the complete set-up and selling the 30lb set-up I have installed.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Smart-tabs 30lb vs. 20lb (any 20lb out there for sale?)

Correctly adjusted 20 Lb actuators would be better than actual 30 lb. A 40 HP for a 380 is too much if boating solo or with light weight a 30 HP would be perfect and not that speed scarry, just throttle down...

Happy Boating

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Correctly adjusted 20 Lb actuators would be better than actual 30 lb. A 40 HP for a 380 is too much if boating solo or with light weight a 30 HP would be perfect and not that speed scarry, just throttle down...

Happy Boating

Throttling down isn't a problem, I do it all the time. ESPECIALLY if my wife is with me! It handles better with the smart tabs, but I have to have them set to the lowest settings (force and angle) in order not to have the bow too low on plane. That in turn gives me less effect on take off. Maybe I'm missing something on the set-up, but I don't believe so. The guy I got them from said the "worked too well" on his 4.6 with a 40hp. I wonder if he ran into the same problems I'm having? Guess I should ask.

I thought about getting a 30hp, but the tohatsu I got with the boat is in excellent condition, and can't afford to just go out a buy a 30hp to try, and take a chance of buying someone else's used outboard problem.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Personally don't like placing trim tabs/doel fins as sometimes can turn into garbage collectors, just move weight up front accordingly and full throttle to have bow down near inmediately. Definitely if your boat has already a 40 HP, take the best out of it. Just to know, is your boat rated for a 30 or 40 HP engine ?

I think you should try trim angle set to 2-3 hole out transom in order to achieve a well balanced boat and cav plate paralell to water at full plane, then adjust trim tabs accordingly. Is your water flow at wot passing slight under or above small upper plate ?

Happy Boating

Attachments

• 03-Trim & Balance.JPG
    03-Trim & Balance.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 0

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Personally don't like placing trim tabs/doel fins as sometimes can turn into garbage collectors, just move weight up front accordingly and full throttle to have bow down near inmediately. Definitely if your boat has already a 40 HP, take the best out of it. Just to know, is your boat rated for a 30 or 40 HP engine ?

I think you should try trim angle set to 2-3 hole out transom in order to achieve a well balanced boat and cav plate paralell to water at full plane, then adjust trim tabs accordingly. Is your water flow at wot passing slight under or above small upper plate ?

Happy Boating

It is rated for a 40hp.
I have adjusted the trim on the motor.
The upper plate us just out of the water on plane.

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nauticus is a great company! I took my C3 out again, this time with my wife and granddaughter and encountered some new problems with the smart tabs. I called Nauticus and they have spent time with me troubleshooting and are working with me to try some 20lb actuators or smaller tab plates. I find this very pleasing, as I bought the tabs used.

You'd think I would have learned by now that if you aren't absolutely sure what you need, it pays to get the support of purchasing from a reputable company. I will end up spending almost the same amount in the end, and spend more time going back and forth! :facepalm:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

The few seconds you lose with nose up is not worth all the drilling and experimentation trouble, try moving your weight forwar and sit wife and granddaughter on front bench if available. The issue is that you are outing with max rated 40 HP which is a heavy engine at back, perfect to take 6 passengers well distributed, the max for the C3, but not just 3. If possible change that 40 for a 30, will handle much better on that size sib.

Happy Boating

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nauticus just called and are exchanging my 30lb actuators for 20lb actuators. What a great company!