Smart/stupid to take pontoon on Lake Erie

Toyelectroman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What's everybody's thought about me taking my pontoon to Lake Erie for perch fishing? Current specs of my boat is 20 foot with 25 inch toons with the sport middle toon and a 115hp. My original thought was to just stay in sandusky bay but seems the fish are biting out by camp perry. When i was younger i would take my 19 foot cutty out all the time but i am still a little new when it comes to pontoons, and where i currently boat at are inland lakes that never really get much wake. Of course i would be watching the weather

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
calm weather, you can take a pontoon out into any of the great lakes or even the gulf of Mexico

however when the weather turns, it will bite you.

I wouldnt do it. been caught too many times when dead flat calm turns to 6' rollers.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
I have same size boat and engine.. in relatively calm weather.... wouldnt hesitate at all. Erie is the shallowest of all big lakes by a bunch,,, your 115 can scoot you in quick enough if need be.. if you fish mornings, most calm anyway... afternoons in summer are asking for trouble.. of course you already know that.. fish on

ahicks

Captain
I've done 3 of the Great Lakes and the Gulf Coast of Florida. Just watch the weather. Know the forecast, but don't bet your life on them, and make sure to keep a wary eye on the clouds and what the wind is doing. If there's ANY doubt, make it a near shore day and stay within an easy 1/2 hour run for shelter.

ahicks

Captain
Unless you're taking the weather broadside....

You'll be spending more time tacking back and forth than you will going forward.

In bad weather, I'd rather be in port, or better yet, have the boat on the trailer!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
My old boss used took his pontoon out fishing on the Chesapeake Bay fishing off and on. I warned him about the "sooner or later" of his endeavors...

He got caught in popup on the opposite side side of the island one afternoon his grown kids and spouses in tow. Lots of barf, a change of underwear or two, a lost anchor, two broke fishing rods and a couple of disgruntled spouses, but none the worst for wear.

Wouldn't have heard of word about it except I overheard his son telling the receptionist about his weekend adventure.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A pontoon boat might be subject to extreme flexing in a sudden storm.----Make sure it is in good shape.------Or as the coast guard says-----" you just had to go out there, but you don't always get back in "