Smaller gas tank for jon boat with 9.9 outboard

jaymz411

Cadet
I bought a new mercury 9.9 manual tiller outboard for my 1436 jon boat, and it came with a 3 fuel tank. I would prefer a smaller tank, hopefully less than 2 gallons but cannot find one online. Any ideas where I can get one?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I bought a new mercury 9.9 manual tiller outboard for my 1436 jon boat, and it came with a 3 fuel tank. I would prefer a smaller tank, hopefully less than 2 gallons but cannot find one online. Any ideas where I can get one?
Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

I looked too. The major fuel tank manufacturers are Attwood, Moeller and a few others. I could not find anything smaller than 3 gallons either.

I also found some discussions suggesting modifying a portable container with a fitting to use with an outboard, but I wouldn't do it. Not safe. Outboard tanks are designed to withstand fuel vapor pressures of 15 psi or so without leaking.

Last place I want to be is in a boat on the water with fuel all around me!

Looks like 3 gallons might be your only choice unless you have someone make one out of aluminum for you.

Regards,

Rick

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Why would you like to count with a much smaller gas tank than a 3 gal one ? Smaller = Less Autonomy, taking extra fuel and refilling main tank at sea could be a PITA. Have changed my 6 gal tank which was never filled to its max fuel capacity for a 3.5 gal tank, which love, space friendly.

Happy Boating

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Yeah..... I have a bow tank for my 10ft Zodiac. I think it actually holds 6gal. I started with it full and operated the zodiac most days of a 10 day trip and only used about 3 or 4 gallons running my 9.8 Tohatsu! But I wouldn't want less.

jaymz411

Cadet
Why would you like to count with a much smaller gas tank than a 3 gal one ? Smaller = Less Autonomy, taking extra fuel and refilling main tank at sea could be a PITA. Have changed my 6 gal tank which was never filled to its max fuel capacity for a 3.5 gal tank, which love, space friendly.

Happy Boating

Easier to keep track of gas usage for me to have two 1.5 gallons than one 3 gallon tank. Also with my usage, I doubt I'll empty a 3 gallon before the gas goes bad. The main reason I started looking was that the 3 gallon that came with the motor has no indicator so I thought I would look for a smaller tank with an indicator.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Easier to keep track of gas usage for me to have two 1.5 gallons than one 3 gallon tank. Also with my usage, I doubt I'll empty a 3 gallon before the gas goes bad. The main reason I started looking was that the 3 gallon that came with the motor has no indicator so I thought I would look for a smaller tank with an indicator.

You probably don't really have to worry about the gas going bad. Unless you let it sit for a year or more, it's not going to be bad enough to worry about........And you can always just pour it in your car, mower or other gas powered appliance and start the season with fresh gasoline.

I still have the 3 gallon plastic tank that came with my Tohatsu 9.8. It's pretty easy to see how much is in it ........... if it's bright sunshine, you can still tell how much is in it.