small pickup

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer
i been looking at small pickups (around the year 99-02) which do you suggest? the dodge dakota looks like it has problems acccording to car and driver used buying guide. the ranger and tacoma look good. ill only be towing 1500 lbs once a year tops. and usually towing a rowboat or other small boat, something a car can handle. any pros/cons for the ranger/tacoma? thanks

allen6634

Seaman
Re: small pickup

i have a dakota mine is a 1993 it has 175000 miles.not a bolt turned on it i also have a 5.2 so that helps when i put it to work:)

symonds86

Seaman Apprentice

ive had a few rangers i really like them id get one with a 4.0v6 they are tough lil trucks i sold my last one with 275000 miles and its still goin

NYBo

Admiral

I've owned a '99 Dakota for two years. Other than having to replace a lot of front suspension parts (common issue), no problems. But I haven't used it to tow my boat yet.

KaiBlaed

Cadet

I have a 2001 2.2L S10 with a bit of a ghetto trailer hitch. My boat is 14', not sure of the weight, but it's really close to being too heavy for my truck to pull up boat ramps. I have to steer clear of the steep ones. Definitely look for something with a six cylinder.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If all you are towing is a row boat any of the small trucks (Ranger, S10, etc) with a 4-cylinder or V6 will work for you -- especially since it will be so infrequent. You also get the economy of the 4-banger when not towing. Most of those will be two wheel drive so by all means try and find one with a limited slip differential. This is not a deal killer as limited slip can be added or if you are mechanically inclined, can buy an entire rear end from a salvage yard and swap it out.