Small Oil Leak 23' VP-350-CE

Bootkie2

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all, I’ve got a small oil leak on my Volvo Penta 2023 v8 350 with just a little over 100 hours. I’m losing about a teaspoon or 2 (sorry for the cooking reference) every 2-3 hours of runtime.

I threw some shop towels down in the bilge underneath the engine and ran it for a few hours and this is what I got back. You can see the placements and where they soaked. I’m going to try to see if I can contort my body and stick a camera down there, I am new to VP ownership, Any ideas? where should I look?

Attachments

• VP-350-CE-placements.jpg
    VP-350-CE-placements.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 13

briangcc

Commander
I'd personally take it to the marina and have them correct it under warranty. Pretty sure you have a 5 yr warranty from Volvo.

Bondo

Staff member
I’m also trying to see if I can identify it myself first to speed things up. Marina will take too long. I want to try to avoid losing too much water time.
Ayuh,.... So it appears to be leaking at the back of the motor,......

Now you need to figure out how high up it's leaking from,......

ESGWheel

Petty Officer 1st Class
Be careful about being prescriptive to the marina you bought it from. Assuming it is under warranty all you need to tell them is your ‘compliant’ of oil in the bridge. Here is a worst-case scenario: you say “I have a small leak fm xxx, please fix under warranty” but it’s not that so they end up wasting their time and now the bad relationship starts. Suggest just tell them your symptoms of ‘oil in the bilge’ and let them figure out the rest. And to help alleviate the queue time at the repair shop stress to them that you spent a ton of money on it, only has 100 hrs and you would appreciate getting some priority.

One advantage of finding the source of the leak would be to determine if it can wait to be fixed until off season. BUT small leaks can rapidly turn into larger ones and now you may not get warranty service (Dealer: “You knew there was an issue and you ignored it, so the fact you fried the motor is not our issue.”)

If you are inclined to do your own work post warranty, get the manuals now and keep reading the various issues and solutions in this forum. You will lean a lot and get a sense of how to respond when you do have an issue.

And congrats on the new boat!

Bootkie2

Seaman Apprentice
Be careful about being prescriptive to the marina you bought it from. Assuming it is under warranty all you need to tell them is your ‘compliant’ of oil in the bridge. Here is a worst-case scenario: you say “I have a small leak fm xxx, please fix under warranty” but it’s not that so they end up wasting their time and now the bad relationship starts. Suggest just tell them your symptoms of ‘oil in the bilge’ and let them figure out the rest. And to help alleviate the queue time at the repair shop stress to them that you spent a ton of money on it, only has 100 hrs and you would appreciate getting some priority.

One advantage of finding the source of the leak would be to determine if it can wait to be fixed until off season. BUT small leaks can rapidly turn into larger ones and now you may not get warranty service (Dealer: “You knew there was an issue and you ignored it, so the fact you fried the motor is not our issue.”)

If you are inclined to do your own work post warranty, get the manuals now and keep reading the various issues and solutions in this forum. You will lean a lot and get a sense of how to respond when you do have an issue.

And congrats on the new boat!
Thanks! Good advice, for me it’s more of a curiosity thing just wanting to learn the engine. I am definitely not going to be touching the motor myself until the warranty period is over. I plan to take it in for sure and obviously not give too much detail, to your point “seem to have found some oil in the bilge”, and let them take it from there.