Small mouth bass fishing in the Columbia river - Portland, Oregon

anple

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello Everyone,
I'm from Portland, Oregon and recently got a boat. One time, I took the boat out and fished with night crawler bait, I got a few small mouth basses. I'm not sure if night crawlers is good bait to catch small mouth basses. Can someone share better ways to fish for small mouth basses? Many thanks - Anthony:confused:

scipper77

Commander
Re: Small mouth bass fishing in the Columbia river - Portland, Oregon

When I fish for small mouth bass(es) on lake Ontario I usually troll. If you are in an area without Gobies try soft shell crabs. Drop them down to the bottom and reel them up a foot or two or they will try and go under the rocks on the bottom. This is what I did at Lake George and it worked great.

scipper77

Commander

I just noticed that in the title you are fishing in a river. The techniques I listed are what I do in lakes. I've never targeted smallies in a river before so I am interested in this threads responses as well.

I know someone will be along with some great replies. There is a great group of fresh water fisherman on this board. We love talking fishing techniques. And may I point out that fishing threads never turn into arguments. Even the most experienced of us know that there is value in others experience!!

bassman284

Commander

Our smallmouth rivers around here are much, MUCH smaller than the Columbia. That said, smallies are smallies and I've had good luck with jigs, sometimes with 1.5" twister tails, sometimes 2 or 3 inch tubes. Bright colors on the twisters and darker on the tubes. Also have used some 2 - 6 foot crank baits, either shad or crawdad pattern.

Look for rocks that break up the current or eddie pools next to the current. Don't know if the Columbia provides this kind of thing. Smallies generally like to sit just out of the current and ambush.