Small leak above water line

Air Traffic

Seaman Apprentice
I have a small leak above the water line in my boat that drains down the inside hull in my bathroom. It gets the wallboard and carpet wet after heavy rains. To the best of my inspection it appears to be coming from the rub rail. Can I just pull the rub rail off, reseal underneath and put in back in or would I need to somehow purchase new "rubber" for an out of production boat? Also what would you recommend for sealing the seam above the waterline?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: Small leak above water line

You should be able to just pull the rub rail and lay down a bead of sealer to stop the water intrusion. I would do the entire thing rather than just where it's leaking through at the moment.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

look VERY close at your windows.... much more likely source of leaking rain water than a rubrail

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Lot's of boats actually have this issue at the rub rail, if you have tested and made sure this is where the leak really is, do as suggested above but I would do the entire boat/rail after removing the trim piece, this should take care of the problem and preserve your interior.