small ding on the flange

bones1918

Cadet
i hit a log the other day doing about 3 or 4 knots, i pulled the engine up, did a quick visual inspection, and it seemed fine, so i kept on going. spent the rest of that day at low speed.<br /><br />a couple days later, i went out and intended to go full speed, wich is usually around 31 knots on a flat day or 29 if its a little choppy. i coudlnt get above 19.5. the RPM's seemed to be the same (no tach) and the water was glassy, so im thinking it must be the prop. i did a better inspection, and noticed theres an ding on the flange of the body of the propeller. its not huge.. the out of shape spot seems about the size of a quarter. The ding is on the flange on aft end of the cylinder of the shaft. could that little ding really be causing me a 30% loss in efficinecy?

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer
Re: small ding on the flange

Quite possibly. It will also cause your prop to be out of balance which will set up a nasty vibration in your motor. This could cause premature bearing failure etc. Best to get it fixed.

ivar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Could also be that your hub is slipping, a minor ding should not have that much impact.

imported_Curmudgeon

Chief Petty Officer

Could also be that your hub is slipping ..<br /><br />If he's getting 19 mph with near normal RPMs, it ain't the hub slipping! A hub slip in his situation would be RPMs screaming and speed almost non-existent.

ivar

Petty Officer 1st Class

O.C, <br />normally it will do as you describe, but I've also seen otherwise.

bones1918

Cadet

I'll pull it out of the water today and pull the prop off and really examine it up close. how can i check for hub slipage? it's a 1989 evinrude 70 hp, btw

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mark the prop with crayon or indelible marker across hub and prop body. Run boat in water at WOT then check the marks.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've got a feeling that there's some other reason for your loss of speed. A 'small ding' in a prop wouldn't do that. <br /><br />I'm no prop expert, but I've run props that were really only fit for junk, and they've still given me close to maximum.<br /><br />And as Old Curmudgeon says, a spun hub would show itself by a howling motor and very slow speed.