small casting deck on open bow

swl

Seaman
I bought a 89 maxum runabout to have fun with the wife and kids (but mostly so i can fish off it) wink,wink. anyway, i took out the front cushions, and using plywood, cut out a triangle to fit where the cushions were. Lotsa measuring to get it right but it fits in there surprisingly well. covered it with carpet even!!! woohoo! I cut a rectangular piece to fit on the bottom and it slips down into the space in between where the cushions were. then screwed it together with the deck piece. then on top of it, I mounted a chair using a swivel-eze post and base. Worked out pretty well. I can use it to fish, then if i have everyone out, i can just put the cushions back in. My question is, has anyone else done this, and can anyone think of a better way? (short of bying a bass boat!) maybe a lighter material? Im gonna try to find a pic to put on here.

Attachments

• 100_0314.jpg
    100_0314.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 0

swl

Seaman
Re: small casting deck on open bow

No problem. Guess I was just wondering how "out there" this idea was. also, would another material be any lighter? fiberglass maybe? the thing probably weighs about 30-40 pounds

foodfisher

Captain

Time and materials! IMHO If it works, don't fix it.

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Was thinking of doing similar to our previous boat (Glastron bowrider). Searched lots of websites including here and found a few similar projects posted. I think all used the carpet covered plywood. Are you also thinking about a bow mounted trolling motor?

We decided we also wanted to visit coast some and decided timing was right to move to a more salty/fishing boat and trailer.

Enjoy!

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like you did a great job. Really don't see any room for improvement, "nudge nudge";)

bear_69cuda

Commander

Did the same thing on my old 1999 Bayliner, see the thread link below my signature... I did a rest-mod to that boat before I sold her... Great boat!

stuff%20004.jpg

jse_transfer_28OCT08_699.jpg

jse_08MAR09_086.jpg

stuff%20003.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Great way to get "dual purpose" from your boat but it is not exactly a "new idea" because lots of bow riders are set up that way. My neighbors late 1980's Crestliner was set up that way from the factory as is my daughters 2005. In both of these examples, the cushions had very strong backs and were simply flipped upside down and they locked into place. The pedestal passed through a gap between the two cushions at the center and fit into the socket in the floor. Conversion in both cases could take place on the water with nothing to stow except for the pedestal. How simple or how fancy one makes a boat mofification doesn't matter -- as long as it serves the intended purpose.

swl

Seaman

blifsy- I do have a MK 55PDV2 on the front, but you cant see it in the pic. Thought I had pics of it while it was in progress, but alas... bear69cuda- that bayliner looked great!!! Did you cut out under the seats for those storage hatches? that is cool, I wasn't too sure if I could do that. Nice car BTW

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

bear69cuda's is one of the projects I recall being very impressed with!

bear_69cuda

Commander

bear69cuda- that bayliner looked great!!! Did you cut out under the seats for those storage hatches? that is cool, I wasn't too sure if I could do that. Nice car BTW

The cut outs were factory... The Cuda sold 3 weeks ago... It was a great car!