slower than a Skeeter?

awtotek

Recruit
hey everyone.<br /> I just had an experience, with my boat. I was fishing down at Kentucy lake. I have a 2005 Stratos 486sf fish & ski.so anyway i'm on plane and trimmed out, engine at about 48-4900 rpm, gps reading around 48 mph. and a Skeeter fish & ski same size 18 ft, with the same motor,<br />150 v-max carb. pasted me very easily.loaded the same 2 guys and fishing gear. is there a major weight difference, what gives? any ideas &/or suggestions. thanks Jim

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: slower than a Skeeter?

Any number of things could be different.<br />Props for one.<br />You may have a good prop for holeshots and the other guy may have had one for topend. Lot's of variables to take into consideration.

LubeDude

Admiral

If in fact you were at WOT and fully trimmed, you are "WAY" over propped. Dont keep running it that way, your cylinderhead temps are way too high with todays fuel. You need to be in the 5,500-6,000 RPM range. Your hole shot must be in the toilet?

awtotek

Recruit

thanks I appreciate the replies.I wondered about props myself.The owners manual for my motor says rpm range should be 5500 rpm. I have a 21 pitch prop, was thinking of a 4 blade.I really don't know if that would be a good thing or not.

StratosRob

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like a 19 pitch would be in order.

walleyewall

Recruit

i have a 09 486sf w/a 19 pitch can get it to go 58 mph rpms at 6000-7000 its a yamaha 150 4 stroker