slow mixture needle has a flat spot 61 rude 40hp

ZAX

Cadet
can you fix these dents by filing or something or does it have to be replaced?. as long as it fits in the seat it should be fine RUNS terrible then if I move it a fraction it starts to smooth out, turn it again and the whole engine shakes, there is only one area on this needle where it's runs half way decent , I've been told 1 1/2 or 2 turns open from the bottom , it will only run about 1/4 turn open , would 40:1 mixture be better then 50:1 and NO I'M not dumping 1 quart of oil to 6 gallons of gas 24:1

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: slow mixture needle has a flat spot 61 rude 40hp

Hello.<br />Yes you must replace the low speed needle.They are readily available at napa stores and other places.While replacing the needle you should also replace the packing in the housing.<br />I use 32-1 and it does fine.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Zax.<br /><br />I agree with Rolmops.<br /><br />You should know, though, that the factory recommended mix for your '61 Rude was 24:1.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

ZAX

Cadet

why does everyone say go to NAPA for your boat parts? If I was looking for a common spark plug . . . they would have to order it! napa dosn't have a single thing for my 61 rude 40 hp

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Zax, NAPA sell Sierra aftermarket Marine parts. They will have some stuff for your motor. While OMC dealers can be few and far between, NAPA stores are more common. NAPA may not have things like head gaskets etc, they will have impellers, coils, points, etc. Most NAPAs do not stock Marine parts, but can get them in 1 to 3 days. If you can find an OMC dealer, they may have old stock or can still order most parts. Some parts will only be available from dealers that buy old motors for parts.

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Zax, oen more thing. I have heard of putting the needle in a drill and using a very fine small file to fix the needle valves. It needs to be kept at exactly the same angle. New one is best, but if you cannot find one and the one you have does not work, then it does not hurt to try it. Also read through some of the fuel/oil mixtures postings at this site. There is one recent one that may apply to your motor. Antique Outboard Motor Club<br /> http://www.aomci.org/askamember/index.html