Slow ignition response

EvinFla

Seaman
1995 Evinrude 115,<br /><br />When turning my ingnition, I have recently been getting a dead response. After awhile it will cause an ignition, and after my engine is started it will work fine on subsequent starts. Is this a major problem, or is something just sticking?<br /><br />Thanks

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Slow ignition response

Could be a bad ignition switch, start solenoid, starter, neutral safety switch, or a poor connection at the battery or just about anywhere else.<br /><br />Is it a big problem? Not if the boat is on the trailer...unless you have kids that will be sure to say "You promised we'd go out in the boat". Or if you're out 12 miles from shore and you can't get it started. I'd say those would be big problems.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Slow ignition response

Hey Evin....take a look at all your electrical connections. Especially the battery terminals. Make sure they are clean.<br /><br />Make sure the solenoid connections are cleans the starter connection is clean.<br /><br />Next time you start up, pull the hood and have yer' favorite first mate hit the start sw. If it pauses, tap the solenoid and see if that makes it go. The disc in the solenoid that contacts the two big posts' will sometimes build up a lot of crud from arcing and lose contact. Start with the easy stuff and work yer way up.<br /><br />Keep us posted. Thanks.