Slop-froggin'

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just got back from a 2-day camping/fishing trip. IIt's been a tought sumer here in WI, but this was probably my best days of fishing all year. I figured out a couple of good patterns on the Bass and caught quite a few of them. The lake also had many good bays packed with surface weeds and slop. I spent a lot of time throwing a plastic frog (actually, a salad spoon to exact). I got bunches of surface action using it, but often the Bass were breaking the surface about 1-2 feet away from the bait. I know the hook-up ratio is mediocre when slop-frogging, but it was frustrating to see so many Bass stir the surface or lunge out of the water, but only to be a foot or two away. Anyone want to share their good tips to slop-frogging, whether it relates to this situation or not, I'd be interested to hear people's strategies. I can't think of a better way to catch a Bass than slop-frogging. I love the surprise attack and the ferocious hits. Talk about heart-racing!!! I just need to get better at it! :)

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: Slop-froggin'

My experience with that type of Bassin' is that when they do that, they are actually trying to knock whatever is up there into the water so they can eat it. Have another rod with a heavier bait on it that will penetrate the weeds and when they bust the surface, cast the heavier bait into the same area and work it through the mat and they will hit it. Not always easy if the mat is very thick. It works good though.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

if the surface is matted, try to clear some holes with a crankbait or maybe even your boat (trolling motor might do it) then come back later or next day to work 'em. <br /><br />tell me more about the salad spoon?

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cool, I like both of those ideas. I'll have to give them a try. I did try following up with a tube, but I don't think my weight was heavy enough. <br /><br />jt, I like the salad spoon better than most of the rubber frogs I have tried. It soft-plastic, solid body with thick tail. The tail does a really good job of slapping the surface to create commotion, which annoys the h___ out of the Bass. You rig the spoon just like you rig a plastic worm, texposed on a 3/0 offset hook. I have had problems with the other plastic frogs running upside down with the hook snagging on everything. The spoon almost always runs correctly. The only problem is, just like a worm, the salad spoon eventually rips. I am thinking about molding my own since I plan to use them alot.<br /><br />Here's a link: http://www.lunkercity.com/sal.html

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Ever try a Zoom Horny Toad?

fish it like a buzz bait...on a steady retrieve the legs churn & make a gurgling sound.

I like to use a 5/0 offset shank, fits nicely between her legs. What I like to do is, put enough of the shaft through the mouth to cover the knot, then put the curved part between her legs and skin-hook it around the back.

If you're using a smaller hook you'll end up burying the point in the body, which is ok, just harder to set the hook. Now, on the retrieve sometimes she's gonna wanna turn over & lay on her back - if that bothers you, just give her legs a few good tugs, usually straightens her out, but the action's almost as good that way. ;)

Last edited:

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

I tried something kinda similar, but it was too small to make much of an impact over the mats. That's what makes that spoon so great, IMO. Even in thick mats the tail slaps the mat repetetively, which gives more action to the bait. I bought mine at a Gander Mountain retailer.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Try letting the lure sink a few inches when it comes to an opening, no matter how small. Then the bass can actually see it.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Ron G

Commander

When a bass bust the slop and miss the frog or spoon let it sit there for a couple of minutes,also i put jingle bells in the frogs when fishing mats,love frog fishing ld is right always keep a big tube or jig as a follow up bait to make it fun you can fish 2 frogs at hte same time ,just abouttime for froggin here.

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

patience is virtue, I guess... but, a couple of minutes! Whew, that'll be hard to wait that long. How do you rig up two frogs?

Ron G

Commander

Tie a 60lb power pro from hooks on first frog to another frog between 10" to 2' long use different colored frogs,well it might not ake that long just give the fish enough time turn and find it you can wiggle in place but when ever one blowes up on it and you jerk it away they seldom will come back on it! thats why if they miss it leave it there i have had fish not a frog 2' in the air 2 or 3 times.adrealine rush i love it.use heavy line!!

cwilt

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey bc73<br /><br />if you like them spoons you realy need to try them horney toads they are the hottest bait going in florida, probably since the jelly worm! i dont recomend mono with them, to much strech. they go right through pads without any snags. i use that fish formulia attractant not for the sent but as a lube through the heaviest weeds and mats. its nice and greasy. :D :D :D

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, two thumbs up for the horny toad, so I can't NOT try 'em now! :) Looks like another trip to my local bait shop is in store... and there's never anything wrong with that!

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep! I was there a couple times this year. Once in June, I think and the pad situation there was pretty good. Then, I went back at the beginning of July and there pads had dissapated quite a bit. Nice lake though, I'm only 20 min. away.

muskyone

Master Chief Petty Officer

my best days come from that lake a unwhighted power worm let it fall off a lilly pad and bam just about every cast my mom lives in cottage grove i try to hit riply at least once or twice a year but i haven't been there this summer

LubeDude

Admiral

Caution,this is a ramble.<br /><br />Hey, there is a Cottage Grove here in Oregon also. Right on I 5 between Roseburg and Eugene.<br /><br />Muskyone, I like to do that also here on my home lake. <br /><br />After fishing for bass for about 35 years, I have come to the conclusion that they dont care particularly what it looks like (Most of the time), just that its moving and its of a size that they can eat it. I have heard people say that bass are the "smartest fish that swims", But I have another way of putting it. They are dumb as a rock and are a creature of habbit. Figure out there habbits and you can catch them. One habbit they have is just like one of mine, they like to eat. Find the fish, put anything you can in front of them and if they are in the mood they will hit it. Color rarely matters, (Sometimes). Now there is a "LOT" to understanding there habbits from winter to through the spawn to post spawn to the summer duldrums, but once you understand all that you can normally catch them.<br /><br />I took a small corn cob one time many years ago (Just to prove a point), and cut it about 5" long, cut it in half from front to back, and inserted a wire bent just right through the body to hold hooks and had a place to tie the line. I then glued it back together. I put on the hooks and went fishing. I caught several fish on it, one five pounder. It wasnt the color, I didnt paint it, it was the way I worked it and made it look like food. It was like a rough Zora spook.<br /><br />Now there are in fact times where color matters a great deal, but I believe that most of the time its what you have the most confidence in. Sometimes a certain lure will have just the right action to make them strike. Sometimes just the way you retrieve it makes all the difference.<br /><br />My wife has a way of reeling that drives me nuts, her retrieve is a bit jerky where mine is smooth as glass. There are times when her jerky retrieve catches more fish than I do so I start doing the same thing. You may have the right bait and not the right retrieve. Like with slop frogging, sometimes you need a steady retrieve, sometimes you need a jerky one. Sometimes you need to let it sit for what seems like forever before they will pick it up. So, if you go Bassin and dont try about fifty ways of getting the bait back to the boat, you aint gonna find the pattern.<br /><br />Wew, can ya all tell Im borred?

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, Muskyone, that's exactly how I got my first lunker bass when I used to fish out of a canoe. I use the frog when the surface is matted, but not when it's mostly lilly pads. Then, I switch to dragging and dropping a worm or tube.<br /><br />By the way, I won my first club tournament this weekend. Fishing was tough, couple of small keepers on a worm and then a jig, but I caught two 4 pounders in the slop off my trusty salad spoon, which also helped me win big fish. I'm pretty proud of myself since I only started fishing and boating since last september. Just had to share my good news. :) I'm glad I started this thread because I think it helped my slop fishing techniques!

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by BassCat73:<br /> <br />By the way, I won my first club tournament this weekend.
Congratulations on the win, Aint it great. I used to belong (Actually helped to start one),to a Bass club, fished all the tournaments, took Bass angler of the year several times. Havnt been in a club or fished a tournament for over 20 years now though. Besides the lack of sportsmanship, I just dont have the time it takes to actually compete anymore, and if I started, I couldnt stop. Its actually quite addicting.<br /><br />Keep your priorities in order! My mom used to say that if her funeral was durring a Bass tournament, she figured Id be fishing. Well, it wasnt that bad, but close.

Ron G

Commander

lol :) lubes right can be addicting but aint it fun.congrates on your tourney hope you have plenty more.