Slip Bobbers

MRS

Commander
Just make sure they come with stoppers they are a bit different but you will have to use the different styles to see what works best for you.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
I've yet to find any with stoppers. Or beads Maybe they're included and they just don't say so? I'd really like to know which ones work best for others since there are significant design differences. Or does that not even matter?

SirFishesALot

Seaman Apprentice
They are all pretty much the same from a general concept. You put a stopper on at the select depth, slide a bobber on, add some weight, and bait/lure. That being said the shape and size of them matter because it affects how hard they are to pull under. If you are fishing with a heavy jig head I use slip bobbers that are rounder and larger to help float the heavy jig head. Same if I am fishing with a minnow. I don't want to constantly think I have a bit every time the minnow moves so I use a larger rounder slip bobber to dampen the erratic action of the minnow. Personally, I think slip bobbers are nice because they allow you to use a light jig head and let it fall naturally so I like to use the small thin slip bobbers that are more sensitive to bites.

SirFishesALot

Seaman Apprentice
I've yet to find any with stoppers. Or beads Maybe they're included and they just don't say so? I'd really like to know which ones work best for others since there are significant design differences. Or does that not even matter?
By the way most slip bobbers come with a handful of bobber stops but they do wear out faster then bobbers and once they are used they are can't be put on again so it is a good idea to buy more. I like the thread ones like the link below. They are easy to put on your line, easy to move, but hold the bobber in place well even on big bites.
https://www.amazon.com/Thill-Premiu...93-bbcf-fb9a1eca04a4&pd_rd_i=B0000BVF8C&psc=1

SirFishesALot

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you kindly, that's the kind of hard to find info I come here for.
Any time good sir! Just FYI as well I like the slip bobbers that have a coating of paint or plastic they tend to be a bit more durable and last longer. Also, if you don't have a fish finder you can use a weight tied to your line to find the depth and a lot of times you can find fish a foot or two off the bottom. Tight lines!

Chief Petty Officer
19344-113156

If you're fishing shallows I prefer these.
Stops wear out and can't always can't find more when you need them.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Does the line go through the middle? I have some bobbers already with a spring on the bottom like that. They don't really slip though.

SirFishesALot

Seaman Apprentice
Does the line go through the middle? I have some bobbers already with a spring on the bottom like that. They don't really slip though.
Yes the line does go through the middle. The bobbers with the spring on them are when you are fishing in shallow water. Because the spring sets the height you really only use them to about 3 maybe 4 feet deep at the deepest since you have to cast a bobber 3-4 feet of slack line then your bait. With a slip bobber you can fish deeper water and still easily cast or reel in fish.

Buzzsaw420

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pull the spring towards the bobber and it will expose the slot your line goes through.

RMClark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I use these: Rod-n-Bobb's 3-in-1

I like the ability to add a slip bobber without having to retie anything. This bobber can also be used in a fixed depth configuration.

I'll often use a rubber stop, but I also will use a piece of fly line backing (dacron) that is tied around the line at the stop point.

Just returned from my annual spring crappie trip. I used the 3-in-1 every day with great results. On this trip I used it primarily in a fixed depth configuration since I like to use a loop knot with my small jig heads. I find that the loop knot can get stuck in the bottom of the "slip hole" and may mess up the sinking action of the jig head.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Those look pretty cool. I haven't bought any yet, but need to get off my butt and make me a tackle order. Thanks for the link.

jeepinandy58

Cadet
I'm cheap and make my own rigs. I get coffee stirrers at McDonalds or a gas station, use some braid line, pick up a pack of beads in the Walmart craft section and the bobber will be your choice....I use some cheap Walmart styrofoam ones. check out this video by Bankpole Joe.
I usually prepare 50 or so in the winter, normally that will hold me from March-November.

SirFishesALot

Seaman Apprentice
I'm cheap and make my own rigs. I get coffee stirrers at McDonalds or a gas station, use some braid line, pick up a pack of beads in the Walmart craft section and the bobber will be your choice....I use some cheap Walmart styrofoam ones. check out this video by Bankpole Joe.
I usually prepare 50 or so in the winter, normally that will hold me from March-November.
You make your own bobber stops? You know you could buy a 100 bobber stops from Temu for around 1.50. If you enjoy making them then by all means have fun but it if you are trying to save money it is hard to beat 1.50 for 100.

jeepinandy58

Cadet
You make your own bobber stops? You know you could buy a 100 bobber stops from Temu for around 1.50. If you enjoy making them then by all means have fun but it if you are trying to save money it is hard to beat 1.50 for 100.
Thanks for the heads up, I just enjoy making them. Usually make up a bunch in the winter........helps feed the fishing addiction when its colder than I like fishing in!

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
I've only recently heard of Temu. Sounds like it can take awhile to get your stuff though. So when the fish are biting it may make a good bit of sense to use what you can get locally. Thanks for the tip though. Hoping to do more fishing this year. Last year was pretty much a bust for me for a lot of reasons.

SirFishesALot

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the heads up, I just enjoy making them. Usually make up a bunch in the winter........helps feed the fishing addiction when its colder than I like fishing in!
Gotcha! Yeah I just bought some of my own plastic molding stuff so I get that haha. Not exactly saving money but I like tinkering around on my fishing stuff.

SirFishesALot

Seaman Apprentice
I've only recently heard of Temu. Sounds like it can take awhile to get your stuff though. So when the fish are biting it may make a good bit of sense to use what you can get locally. Thanks for the tip though. Hoping to do more fishing this year. Last year was pretty much a bust for me for a lot of reasons.
If you can handle the quantity Alibaba is pretty good too. Although expect to order things in large quantities. Most of the time they are offered in quantities of 100 to 1,000 but they are a great price. I have been looking into mass buying tungsten ice fishing jigs then painting them or customizing them myself and it is crazy how cheap they are.