Skinnywater & your nieghbor

Link

Rear Admiral
Found this while doing a search<br />If you have posted more on this let me know.<br /><br />The thought came to mind that about a week before going on vacation rent a very expensive sports car then turn it back in on your way out of town. :D :D <br />Kidding but was wondering if you ever did the driveway and what happened?? <br /><br />Skinnywater<br />
I have a funny nieghbor. He's not annoying or bad, he's a copy cat.<br />I learned by introducing myself a few years back that he and his family are from Peru. He prefers to stay to hisself and so do I. We wave and that's the extent of it mostly.<br /><br />It didn't take long before I started noticing that he went down and bought a hat just like the one that I would wear as I did yard work. Then came the same colored Tee shirts. During the wet winters I was the first to wear those black knee high rubber boots. It made sense that he'd be sporting a pair also.<br />A few years ago one of my daughters bought us one of those park benches for the back yard. Not to be outdone, the following week there were 4 of them in his back yard.<br />One year the wife and I would go up into the mountains and get nice flat rocks and made a retaining wall around a flower garden. Again a week later he'd have a wall built around some flowers on his place. Although his rocks were bricks from the local Homebase. It started to get a bit freaky when a few years ago, I put up four of those little solar tier lights and spaced them down my back drive. Again, not to be outdone, a week later he had no less then 50 of them haphazzardly sticking up everywhere in his back yard.<br />Since my tack/tool shed outback of my place doesn't have power to it, I studied up and bought a nice solar panel for it. I wired in 3 MB88 batteries, a 800watt converter, florecent lights, 12v spot lights and a light over my fish cleaning/smoking station.<br />He tried to not be outdone, but this situation went way over his head. The poor fool went out and bought what I know as a $600 solar panel, nailed it to his toolshed roof. There it is, not connected to anything for the past year.<br /><br />I got tired of looking at my beatup old mailbox. It got clobbered 6-8years ago and I straightend it the best I could. I figured I'd replace it the next time it was used for midnight batting practice. It didn't happen, so a couple of weeks ago I replaced it and the post. There wasn't anything wrong with the nieghbors. But he had a nice new one this weekend. One of those real big ones, one of those that just cry out for some teenage bashing.<br /><br />We just refinanced to a 4.85% 15 year mortgage last week. Soon I want to replace the old cracked and sinking asphalt driveway with a concrete one.<br />I'll lay double to nothing odds my nieghbor gets a new driveway this year also.<br /><br />

KaGee

Admiral
Re: Skinnywater & your nieghbor

Your Peruvian neighbor has learned well the American pass-time of "Keeping Up With The Jones'"<br /> :) <br /><br />I could think of worse things... you could be living next to a drug dealer... like I do.

f_inscreenname

Commander

In a way it sound great. If you don't like something about the neighbors house just do it to yours. I wish I could get some of my neighbors to learn by my example.

Twidget

Commander

Hmmm, if you hadn't said he and Peruvian, I would have thought my step mother moved to your neighborhood. :)

ndemge

Commander

Does he own a pressure washer?<br /><br /> :) <br /><br /> reference to old neighbor thread...

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

My wife's older brother has a wife who wants to out do everyone else. My wife use to always tell her she was pregnant, just to see this woman end up pregnant again. Up until my wife explained this, I just thought they liked having kids. This was all before my time of marrying into the family of course. It is a common joke among the family, unless the brother and his wife is in attendance at a get together.

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by ndemge:<br /> Does he own a pressure washer?<br /><br /> :) <br /><br /> reference to old neighbor thread...
ROFLOL :D

Skinnywater

Commander

:D <br />Immitation is the sincerest form of flatery, they say.<br /><br />As far as the driveway goes, it's an interesting ongoing story itself.<br /><br />Fourteen years ago we bought this 5 acre corner parcel with a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car attached garage for 80k in the county. <br />Ten years ago, the ajoining property to the west annexed into the city, a small rural town.<br />This made my fence line the city/county boundry.<br />During that refinance my property appraised for 175K. <br />Shortly after that story the 10 acres directly accross the street from me (to the east and is county)sold to a developer.<br />The developer immediately asked if I'd like to annex. He said he would gladly pay my fees to annex into the city. He said he had plans to build 23 homes and needed the city water and sewer.<br />Currently the county has a 2acre min. for homes. So under county zones he could only build 5 homes on that 10 acres.<br />My answer to him was that I saw no incentive to annex. My well is good, my septic is an engineered unit and the county services were above my needs and expectations.<br />The city however, has continual problems, scandals and bouts with mismanagement.<br /><br />This developer has personally contacted me by phone 3 times altogeather. Asking me to consider annexing. I've always told him the same thing. I'd repeat my conserns with the city and always leave the conversation with the statement that "there isn't an incentive to annex."<br /><br />Shortly after our last conversation, his secretary called. She said that it was noticed my driveway needed reasphalted. She said if I were to agree to annex, I'd get a new driveway and some additional construction type projects done while construction was being done accross the street. Plus have the fees and permits all paid by them.<br />My reply was that this was the type incentive I had been looking for and was willing to talk and consider annexing.<br />Since I was talking to his secretary, I made it 110% clear that it was imperative to me that him and I talk face to face, man to man, eye to eye, here, there, anywhere, to come to an understanding and a meeting of the minds. Anything in writing would come after this and a handshake. She understood this request.<br />Two weeks later I got a call from his attourny, who introduced himself and told me he was representing the developer. And asked if I had considered annexing. <br />I immediately told him about the conversation I had with his secretary. Then I told the attourny that I prefered 5 homes to 20, that man to man, face to face, didn't mean his involvement at this point. I ended the conversation saying that after thinking about all that they've left me to consider. "There isn't any incentive to annex, nor was there any incentive to talk to HIS attourny."<br /><br />I had a meeting with the city manager. His words were, "We would welcome you into the city, but it is between you and the devoloper. The developer wants our services for his development, and we require he annex you at the same time he annexes. We don't care one way or another."<br /><br />Building is going crazy around here. My property value would appraise for an easy 220K today and sell for that in a month.<br />This same developer is involved in 3 other subdivisions currently. They haven't broke ground accross the street and I've not heard anything since. They are legally bound to inform me of any deviation in zoning or major land uses. <br />My driveway and I are sitting tight. And the way I see it, I'm sitting in a good place.<br /><br />BTW, this old country boy welcomes any insight or advice you guys can send this way.

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Skinnywater, sounds like you is the advisor, not the advisee. Those were all good decisions, including requiring a face-to-face and handshake. I'd rather live in the place with the five homes on ten acres than the place with the 23 homes on ten acres (come to think of it I already do). A local municipality asked me to consider annexation. I couldn't see the up side, I've got county water, a good septic system, 100 acres and a couple of goats. Why would I want a town telling me what I could and couldn't do with it?