Skinning the Bottom of 24" Toon

jayboy76

Cadet
Have an old Landau 24 footer. Son and I are using it for fishing and just enjoying the water. I rebuilt it early last year with new deck, repainted the rail panels, new carpet and a new 4 stroke Yamaha high thrust for pontoon boats. Runs great and good steady fishing platform. I resisted putting all the expensive seats etc. so we can move around all sides for fishing. Only have an old through over seat with ice chest and the seat behind the console. Plan on adding a trolling motor from another boat soon.

We do get a lot of water splashing up under the deck in moderately rough water which is not uncommon in the windy Nprth Texas area. The water hits the deck cross members and in at least one place is coming up between the plywood wetting the carpet. we had caulked all those seams but not holding. I have heard that later models of toons have an aluminum sheild under the beams that hold the deck. Has anyone done this and is it worth it. I would guess that it would help streamline the air flow under the deck. What do you think about this idea?