Ski rope length and handle shape questions

scb1712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,

Was finally out skiing a couple of weeks back and had a ball! We're both complete beginners and have each only skied a handful of times. However, my wife commented that she felt the hand-me-down rope that we got from my brother was a bit short. After checking it out more thoroughly, i discovered that the rope is a single section 60 foot rope which used to be used behind a Sea-doo.

That got me looking into replacing the rope. However - i've seen all sorts of different stuff out there and don't know what i should be looking for. I primarily have 2 questions:

1) what length should we be using? Most of the ropes i see out there are 75 feet, but then i've also seen some shorter stuff. I figured i would get an 8 or 10 section 75 ft rope, but some posts say to never ski that far back. Could i just add a section of rope to my existing line to increase the length?

2) Curved handle or straight? I've seen some of the new ropes out there with the radius handles that claim to be more comfortable etc. Is there any value to those types of handles or would be be okay with a straight handle. We both had really sore fore arms the day after but i figured that was just due to the fact that we weren't used to using those muscles so much.

Thanks,

Scb

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Ski rope length and handle shape questions

Standard full-line ski rope is 75ft. The term 15-off is used for the 60ft rope (because 15ft have been removed from the long line). Professional slalom skiers can get to 41-off which is only 34 ft from the boat! Either is fine for recreational skiing, so it's mostly just a preference thing. I'd stick with the straight-handle, but again that's a preference thing. Your arms are sore from using muscles you don't normally use as strenuously as you did when skiing, not fro the handle shape. The difference in the angle of your wrists from straight to curved-handle is very miniscule, and most beginners wouldn't really notice it.

The shorter the rope, the quicker you can go from side to side, but you don't travel as far a distance out to the side. Having a sectioned rope is fine, but if you don't plan on removing sections all of the time, it's really just an unused feature. I ski with a sectioned rope, but really just go back and forth from 15-off, so the other 7 sections of the rope never get removed.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you are on two skis a 75 would be fine or the 60 you are using would be fine as well. If you start getting into slalom you might want to invest in a shorter rope or one that is sectioned. Even with two skis you might find a little off the rope will help with your corners outside the wake as it is a bit more responsive with some off the rope. As far as handle i have been on a slalom for 30+ years and have used them all, still like the straight handle the best, the curved throws me off my game just enough to get in the back of my mind. I think the material on the handle itsself is the most important aspect. Get one that you really like the feel of and go with that, some are even cam shaped to reduce finger/arm fatigue but as much as i take a hand off the rope in every corner i ended up not liking the cam shape much either. Good luck and keep at it...

scb1712

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info. We'll be out at it again this weekend. I'll see what i can find in an 8 or 10 section rope so that we have the flexibility moving forward, and i guess i'll just try out some of the different handles to see what i like.

Our goal is to get down to one ski in the next couple of weeks, and then likely spend the rest of the season trying to figure out how to stay up on one ski

haulnazz15

Captain

Staying up on one ski is easy, it's getting up on one that usually presents the problem.