Ski locker drain....

excalibur1031

Seaman Apprentice
Okay, so, I'm ready to launch this 1976 9teen that I've been working on for the last 9 or so months. I've always had it in covered storage, but for the last week or two, I've had it sitting in the driveway. It has rained a few days and I noticed the ski locker has a few inches of water in it. The boat has been sitting with the bow raised so that water would drain when it rained. It seems that the drain for the ski locker comes out on the right side in the bilge area. My question is how does the drain work if the top of that drain is higher than the bottom of the locker??? or is there more to the story that I'm not aware of? Thanks for the info!!

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
I am not an expert but I am pretty sure that ski lockers don't have a seperate drain. In my boats, there is a pipe that connects the ski locker to the bilge compartment where the bilge pump bumps it out. If this is the case on your boat check that pipe because it sometimes gets clogged with dirt or leaves. If your ski locker does have a seperate drain then I have no idea!

renojim

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1971 19. If yours is like mine that hole on the right side of the engine compartment is actually where the end of the bilge hose should sit. It sucks air from the ski locker and the engine compartment and then blows it out the rear facing vent on the right side of the boat. There is a 2 inch tube that goes directly underneath the engine compartment floor toward the back of the boat. Back there the floor drops another 6". This is the area where your bilge pump sits and then also the drain to the outside of the boat. If you remove the engine cover and the left side seat cushion bottom you should be able to look back there or if anything feel what I'm talking about. It is pretty tight back there.
If you look back in the forum I think I posted some pictures in a Thread "replacing the wet foam in the floor"
I'm glad to see people back on the forum. It's still winter here but the wife and I can't wait to get back out on the water. Happy boating and post pics, everybody here loves looking at Nineteen's

ziggy

Admiral
all of what renojim says is correct.

not the best pic of the ski locker for sure. but the only one i could find on my computer w/o going out in the rain and taking another one.
anyways. in the pic, i'm standing in ft of the starboard aft seat looking down, the engine cover is at to the left of my foot. you can see the hole on the back side of the ski locker. as Jim says, that drains straight back to what little bilge we have on our nineteens. the hole in the locker is straight back and down hill to the drain plug leading to the outside of the boat. the one ya put the plug in.
I'm glad to see people back on the forum. It's still winter here but the wife and I can't wait to get back out on the water. Happy boating and post pics, everybody here loves looking at Nineteen's
totally agreed. i been jones'n for some AristoCraft forum action for quite some time too. and i'm doubly ready to get my Nineteen out since i was unable to use it last year. i'm hoping my summerization goes well since it sat for a whole season. i'll be finding out soon enough i think. for sure. post pics. ya can't see enough pics of a Nineteen!

excalibur1031

Seaman Apprentice
Excellent information, gentlemen....I will check that out as soon as I get another free moment and report back. Thanks a ton!!