ski lessons

mollyog74

Seaman Apprentice
ok I know there are not a lot of so. CA residents around, but......<br /><br />Anyone know of any ski schools around here? How about in San Diego, or even Lake Mohave? My kids really want to learn, but I didn't have much luck last year. I think a boon will help.<br /><br />Thanks for any help.

Baldguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: ski lessons

Seriously...try the Mission Valley YMCA. They might have a Waterski trip planned this summer sometime.<br /><br />I used to teach waterskiing to high school kids out of the San Pedro YMCA....the reason I'm saying this.<br /><br />What about the Mission Bay Aquatic Center????<br /><br />How old are your kids?

navigator336

Petty Officer 1st Class

UCSD and San Diego State both used to have ski clubs out of the Aquatic Center. If you can't get lessons from them, they should know who gives them in the area. Mission Bay is a fun place to ski, but can be dangerous as there are a lot of boats and usually some marginal drivers. The private slalom courses out in the Southern Central Valley area should be able to provide lessons too. You might try going on line or calling Lake Buena Vista near Bakersfield to get a referral. You might also ask at a place like Sports Chalet. Usually, the sales person is plugged into the local seen.

tee-boy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Get a boat, tow rope, and skis and go try. Pretty soon you'll be an expert--You'll know all the wrong ways to ski.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If all else fails, go to a ski shop and ask them.

salty87

Commander

roscoe beat me to it. ski shop or wakeboard shop, either way and probably all at the same place.

mollyog74

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, why didn't I think of that.<br /><br />Kids are 9 & 11, and and the 11 year old doesnt listen to a word I say. Even though I've been raised on water skiing, he thinks he knows better than me and then gets frustrated quickly and gives up. The girl, well she's just chicken after watching her brother. They will do well listening to someone else, and using a boom. My hubby could use a lesson or two himself. Thanks, I'll let you know what I find out.

mollyog74

Seaman Apprentice

You know what one thing I forgot to tell my son last year.....? Well just the most important, when you fall, let go. He just got a little water up his nose and a sore ego. No wonder he doesn't listen to me when it comes to such things.

D

DJ

molly,<br /><br />The best thing that can happen to the obstinate son is for sis to get up first. :D That will clean out his ears.<br /><br />The mistake most drivers make is too much or too little power. I suppose you already know that though.

flashback

Captain

the most frequent error that folks make when trying to ski is to straighten their legs out too soon, Just tell your son if he wants to be the first up, that he needs to stop trying so hard and let his knees stay bent until he is up on the skis, then he can try and stand up.............

Dunaruna

Admiral

There are some pretty good videos on basic technique- get that right and everything else will follow.<br /><br />I ski, my wife skis, my son skis - my daughter sunbakes. Shes scared of deep water, wrinkled skin, toe sucking carp, lochness monster.........<br /><br />They got it or they don't. <br /><br /><br />Aldo

mollyog74

Seaman Apprentice

dunaruna,<br />your daughter sounds like mine, and she's only 9! So for her getting up before my son...probably not to likely. You know what I really think the problem is? Those darn innertubes. When I was a kid, if you wanted to play, you went out on skis. Now the kids can have a blast without any work. They dont know what they are missing. My boy is anxious to learn, he just thinks he should get up his first try. He gave up so quickly and was so frustrated. Well he only tried a few time last season, and none this year. I just want to start out with the pros so it is a better experience this time. <br /><br />I found a place in barstow (2hr drive) called Horton lakes water ski school. The lake looks small but good for lessons. Sheesh its not cheap but I think it'll be a good experience. I made reservations the end of June. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Molly, I agree with the 'donuts' making the kids lazy. They are fun but they (& wakeboards) have taken over from skiis now. <br /><br />I'd love my daugther to experience that perfect rooster tail as you round a bouy on the back 2" of the ski - and then that brilliant acceleration over the wake - but it ain't gunna happen.<br /><br />P.S. I haven't told her about the aching back, legs, forearms yet - or is that just me.<br /><br />Aldo

mollyog74

Seaman Apprentice

lol, I hear you. That they can figure out for themselves. Besides those aches and pains dont come until...ah...well...until a few more years pack on.

salty87

Commander

i can't say enough good things about wakeboarding. i ski'd when i was a youngster and it was ok. with the sore back, wobbly legs, and higher speed...skiing just wasn't too much fun to me. wakeboarding speeds are slower, the board gives you more surface area to stand on, you don't have as much back strain, and kids really can't help but get up quickly...they have little choice 'cause they don't weigh much. kids and ladies always get up faster than the men when learning. i've never seen a guy get up on their first pull but i've seen lots of kids and women get up on their very first pull.<br /><br />don't rule out wakeboarding! any shop will let you rent (demo) a board that would fit them both.

BF

Lieutenant

Molly... <br /><br />I smiled when you described your son's attitude. Sounds exactly like my 2 nephews (2 different families). One is now 18 the other 15 and despite having access to boats/cottages etc neither has ever been up on skiis. Neither has given it too much of an effort either. They'd like to, but are too cool to not get up first try... and they might not look like a pro.<br /><br />They'll ride around in a tube (and act like it is an athletic feat), but won't actually put the effort to learn something that takes real skill. Even more frustrating because our family was a pretty active skiing family when I was a kid, so I've taught lots of other people (and their kids) to ski. <br /><br />I think of them as the "whatever" generation. It's not cool to show any interest in anything. Especially if something is hard to do. My kids are young, my oldest (5 soon to be 6) wants to try skiing this year. Now, that's the spirit!!<br /><br />Brent