Skeptical of telltale erratic flow

Kplusten

Cadet
Went out on "sea trial" of potential Pro Line purchase. Has 1998 Mercury 150HP XL 2 cycle VRO. Upon start, no telltale flow for about 1-2 minutes, then weak flow for 1- 2 minutes, then strong flow thereafter. Not familiar with this motor, do closed thermostats restrict flow through telltale as well as head, then maybe partially open, then fully open? Owner claims new impeller was just installed. Maybe key was improperly installed? Did not overheat, stayed around 140 degrees. But when I first looked at the boat, owner ran it on driveway with hose attached to flush port, not using muffs. Despite my protests, he claimed that was okay, but I think he may have damaged impeller since water is flowing wrong direction when using flush. Don't have manual for motor, what is your expert advice before I buy a headache? He took it back to mechanic for VRO float level alarm and fuel problem (bogging down), so I have time to think about this.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You should look up the owners manual for that motor. I believe the flushport can be used when the motor is running.

Also, a lot of V6 Mercs have the thermostats controlling the telltale. I know my '93 V6 is like that.

Kplusten

Cadet
Will have to perform a better search for manual. Have read some articles saying flush port is acceptable for running out of water, others the opposite. Am hoping you are correct that the thermostats control telltale flow. I have owned only Evinrudes over the years and have never seen it. Thanks for the reply.

Dukedog

Captain
Am hoping you are correct that the thermostats control telltale flow.

this is right..

flush recept. is your choice but not recommended for runnin'... coolin' system is not made for runnin' it from that port.. its designed ta run from tha "pump"... jus because some do it and state "no problems" doesn't make it so... jmo