Skeg torn up, Will it effect the boat???

Reel-Fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have posted some pics of a 89' bayliner below i just bought it for $800 it runs good it leaks fuel out of the bottom carb i think ive located that coming from either then plug or the bowl seal. however the skeg is torn up as well as the prop they were two different incedents. the prop who knows the skeg was broke off while it was being delivered to my house. picutres are listed below.

Attachments

• IMG_0507.jpg
    49 bytes · Views: 0
  • IMG_0492 bmp.JPG
  • IMG_0493 bmp.JPG
  • IMG_0496.jpg
  • IMG_0507.jpg
  • IMG_0508 bmp.JPG
  • IMG_0496.jpg

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Skeg torn up, Will it effect the boat???

Sorry, can't view the pictures.
Just post a link to where you have them hosted, and we can click to view.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

None of those pics really show the skeg very well. You can have a welder put a new one on for you for around a hundred bucks. You can get by without one if there are no leaks however the next hit you take will cause some real damage. Verify the prop did not get hurt and that the prop shaft is not bent A 90 weight gear oil should be used. I prefer Quicksilver high performance gear oil.

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like the boat was trailered with the motor down across some concrete! 1/2 your skeg is gone. I just had mine repaired, I was missing the entire skeg and it cost me 125.00 you do want to get it fixed, like eurolarva said, it is there to protect your prop and lower. I used mine all summer with missing skeg, but only on a lake I new, I would never chance it on a shallow lake or an unknown one. Do you have a trailer bar for the motor? it looks like it is trimmed way down to me. I have the same boat and motor, and I use the trailer bar and I put a 2 X 4 on top of the bar just to keep the motor up even higher for trailering. it's a very stomach wrenching sound when you are driving and you hear you skeg scrape.

Reel-Fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes it was drug down the road while delivering to my house he took an extra 200$ off the boat so total price is $600.00 for a 89 Bayliner 125 force that runs just needs a prop. not bad i would say.