Skeg Protectors

SAlexander

Cadet
Has anyone installed a skeg protector? If so what is the better route I seen a black rubber one that glued on and the stainless steel ones you have to drill a hole in the skeg (not a big fan of that). I am really wanting it for protection on the boat ramp more than anything, and also is there any speed limitations with either option? performance/handling issues with either? Is it ok to drill in the skeg?? Thanks

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Skeg Protectors

I've got a stainless one with the drilled holes in it. only thing I would change would be to take it off and let it dry and then seal it as I put it back on as I think I've got some corrosion going on inside the guard (stupid mistake I made a couple years ago).

my skeg was half broken off and this was a cheap way to get it back to proper length. plus its nice and blingy too haha

QC

Supreme Mariner

Frankly I wouldn't put anything on it. When I see one I think "damaged Skeg and too cheap to repair it right." No offense intended, but that's what my mind says. Just take care of it, and if you hit it or ding it some whether on the ramp or on the water, try a file first. If too damaged for that, go with the proper weld and voila, perfectly new looking skeg.

Yes, theoretically they would reduce speed, but unless you are running 60+ I don't think you would be able to measure it. Is this an OB or I/O? Will move to the appropriate section if you let us know.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

actually....the above raises a good point.
to pull the lower off......that six bolts and 10 mins at max.

trip to the welders.....10 bux gas
welding cost......40 bux
paint.....10 bux
re install...another 10 mins

so for 60 bux it can be done right.

what is a skeg gaurd worth?

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

I put one on mine. No regrets. You may be able to find somebody to weld the Skeg for $40, but if they do not do it correctly and with care, you end up melting seals, etc., and could end up needing an entirely new lower unit.

I'm in an area where I was getting constant nicks and scratches on the skeg. The Skeg Guard takes the abuse much better. My wife hit a shoal the day after I installed it, and no damage.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have used SkegGards on three outboards, two that had no damage on the skegs and one that had lost about 3/4" to a rock.

Though we hit many (more) rocks with all three there was no (further) damage.

I would not run an outboard on the world's finest fishing hole, Lake Of The Woods, Ontario, without a stainless SkegGard.

Replacing something that broke with something that will break seems like poor planning to me.

cr2k

Captain

I have never seen a rubber one. I have installed many Skeg Guard brand SS ones. Work very well and will outlast any repair. SS is way harder and will take much more abuse then aluminum. No speed limits on the Skeg Guard brand. Well worth the effort which btw is not that much.

If you just broke the tip off you can have it welded back if any deeper you will need to have the lower disassembled and cleaned to prevent seal damage and burning the oil. If this is on an older unit welding may be OK the newer ones use crappy aluminum and hard to weld and may not hold.
The more that broke off the more leverage there will be on the weld.

Not sayin it can't be done but the guy that can do that kind of welding doesn't work at every shop.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

I have never seen a rubber one. I have installed many Skeg Guard brand SS ones. Work very well and will outlast any repair. SS is way harder and will take much more abuse then aluminum. No speed limits on the Skeg Guard brand. Well worth the effort which btw is not that much.

If you just broke the tip off you can have it welded back if any deeper you will need to have the lower disassembled and cleaned to prevent seal damage and burning the oil. If this is on an older unit welding may be OK the newer ones use crappy aluminum and hard to weld and may not hold.
The more that broke off the more leverage there will be on the weld.

Not sayin it can't be done but the guy that can do that kind of welding doesn't work at every shop.

I think that he is talking about SKEGPROTECTOR or maybe Blackfin...both are composite materials, not rubber. SKEGPROTECTOR actually is carbon fiber and kevlar sandwiching a titanium leading edge!

Happy boating!