Skeeter SK2000

Night_Basser

Cadet
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum so sorry if I am asking some already asked questions or if I am posting in the wrong spot. I didn't see any other better section I don't think.

But anyways, I have a Skeeter SK2000 that the upper Gel Coat is faded. I have tried to Wax it many times and it always shines up really good, for about a day... I have tried to buff it many times and then wax with many different brands of Wax and still no long lasting results. I always just get a good shime for about a day, then it fades back away. I would really love to bring the shine back to the boat because the underneath of the boat is beautiful and has a great sparkle in it, just not the upper Gel Coat. What should I do to bring it back?

Also, The Carpet is shot on the boat. How hard is it to replace the carpet and what brands should I use and where to get them?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Skeeter SK2000

Looks like your post got lost in this forum, most of the guys that deal with this type of stuff hang out in the restoration forum.

Wax and many polishing compounds have oils in the to make you think it was very easy to get the shine you're looking for, it normally takes a little more work though. The oils fill the imperfections in the surface and for short time the surface looks great, then as the oil leaves the scratches or oxidation is noticeable again.

What you need to do is actually removed that surface and get down to fresh gel coat, for this you will need some coarse buffing compound or possible some fine grit sand paper (600 or finer), it will help to have real buffer too, not the little cheap orbital ones, but a real buffer and wool pad.

Start in a small spot and just buff it, it should look better, but you may need to do more if that doesn't yield the results you desire. The next step would be to try some 1000 grit and wet sand it, if 1000 doesn't do it try 800 or 600.

You need to be careful though, you don't want to sand all the way through the clear and into metal flake, so go slow. Just do that small area and let it sit for a few days and see if the shine holds up, then you'll know what needs to be done on the whole boat.

Night_Basser

Cadet

Okay, Thanks very much for that information. I try that out hopefully soonish and see how it goes.

Has anyone ever really heard of the SK2000? Because I can't find anything on Skeeter's website about it and kinda hard to find any information about it.

Hackamore

Cadet

I just purchased an SK2000 about a month ago. Great boat. The first center console Bass boat made. Mine has the same problem, the bottom is great but up on the rails down the side the clear coat is not faded it is gone. It has spots that are still there and it is really good. I was told by an individual that the one that I bought was one of only 12 made. It was a Rick Clunn model, and it has a cut out in the front of the console, for storage or a cooler. It is a great boat and a real piece of Skeeter history. I think you'll love it.
I can't find out anything about it from Skeeter, they act like they don't know what you are talking about.